Dual A # Files (Problems & Solutions)

jgs1

Registered Users (C)
I have been a lurker on this great forum for a while and I noticed some bad stories about Citizenship interviews getting re-scheduled or no decision made during the interview because the applicant has a dual A file. An older A # for the OPT, H1 B visas and a newer A # for the Green Card.

To avoid this problem from happening, is it a good idea to send a letter to the USCIS in the appropriate Service Center reminding them to send the old A # file ( OPT, H1 B visas) together with the new A # file to the local immigration office before the interview is done?

If I take all the USCIS original documents for the older A # file ( H1 B visas and related documents) will the Immigration Officer conducting the interview accept them in lieu of the file coming from the USCIS center? Or will he only accept the file sent by the USCIS center?

Thank you for your comments.

LOL! Somehow I can't see telling anyone at USCIS how they should do their job... certainly you could send such a letter, but I'll bet it gets "filed" pretty quickly.

Thank you for the reply boatbod but with the stories that I am hearing about Dual A # I do not feel comfortable at all going to the interview and then the IO will tell me "ooops, they forgot to send your file for the older A #".

I would send letter to both DO and SC.That way it is someone's hand prior to your interview.I would call and askt them to open tkt on this matter and send you confirmation.:rolleyes:

dckaraja

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I think that I will do as you suggested however if I call them will they accept this request to open a ticket and send me a confirmation that the file has been sent to the local DO?

I had two A#s because of my OPT. When I filed my N400, I just included a letter noting my other A# and requesting the files be consolidated prior to interview. I had my interview yesterday and it went smoothly - no issues about the A# came up.

plz help me

I would send letter to both DO and SC.That way it is someone's hand prior to your interview.I would call and askt them to open tkt on this matter and send you confirmation.:rolleyes:

i went to my interview on monday june 18 for my citizenship test and i passed the test however my A- file wasnt present at the time of the interview so the IO couldnt make a decsion on my citizeship and she wrote on my N652 awaiting original file.

i called my congressman and she stated that she called immigration and they told her that my file is still in the Nebarska Service center and the DO here in detroit have requested it twice but they arent responding?

any way i can contact the Nebraska office or write them anything to send my file, im loosing my sanity im worried and i dont know what to do ?

any advice is greatly appreciated.:mad:

Worried2007

In your case you need to wait but hopefully you will get the Oath Letter in a month or so, please keep us updated.

rk9465

Thank you for your comment.

I filed my N-400 few days ago and I wanted to include the old A # in the cover letter that I attached to the application but I changed my mind and I did not do so. I am going to write a separate letter about this issue and send it to the USCIS Service Center soon, I am just waiting to get the Priority date letter and the new case #.

Don't worry, files eventually show up. Check (via an infopass) every 4-6 weeks.

Missing files (particularly if your interview is completed) is *waaaaaay* better than getting stuck in the black hole that is name check.

[QUOTE=worried2007;

Your case sounds like clerical error.What we are talking about is whole different issue about dual A-File.Just hang in there you should be fine.:) Stuff like your happens on daily basis.;) Nothing to be worried in 2007.

In my case in Atlanta DO, there was second A file that IO told me about at the end of interview. So my case was not decided then. IO was able to tell me that my file was in National Records center (Which is a kinda good news as file was not lost or any such problem). I received Oath letter for oath about 5 weeks after the interview. If your file is at Nat Rec Center, it takes 1-2 weeks to get to DO.

good news

In my case in Atlanta DO, there was second A file that IO told me about at the end of interview. So my case was not decided then. IO was able to tell me that my file was in National Records center (Which is a kinda good news as file was not lost or any such problem). I received Oath letter for oath about 5 weeks after the interview. If your file is at Nat Rec Center, it takes 1-2 weeks to get to DO.

so what ur saying is i shouldnt be worried that my case would drag im so miserable because i feel im in a limbo and dont know where i stand , but what ur saying is i should wait a month or so and i will get my oath letter .

i hope my case will resemble urs and i will here from them in a month or so im keeping my fingers crossed because i dont know where is my A file and thats what the DO is waiting to approve my case .

do u know of any way i can write or call the National Records center ?:mad:

tell me more N400Atl

im wondering did u make any info pass or contact with ur district office to know the stauts of ur file being transfered or u were just patient and waited for ur letter n the mail.

when was ur oath? im waiting for ur answer

plz help me

can you tell me if u made any infopass appointment during those 5 weeks to check on you case or u just waited the 5 weeks .

this will be my third week and im going to see infopass to ask about my file

worried2007,
Sorry for delay in reply. I was out of town for work and and just got busy.

I did not make any infopass appt though I was planning to. My IO had told me that file is in National records center and it can take 1-2 weeks to get it to them. So I waited. You can take infopass just for peace of mind. Try after 3-4 weeks though.
Any latest updates?

Folks,
Please help me understand what this Dual A# issue is? Can you point me to any other threads, and what should one do?

I have sent my N-400 application. I had a OPT (F1-student Employment Authorization Document EAD A#) and then I wasiin H1-B for a couple of years, before Green card. Should I do something special? I did not read any such thing in the N-400 instructions!??

PS:
I have not yet received FP notice. Waiting for that.

Please help me understand what this Dual A# issue is? Can you point me to any other threads, and what should one do?

I have sent my N-400 application. I had a OPT (F1-student Employment Authorization Document EAD A#) and then I wasiin H1-B for a couple of years, before Green card. Should I do something special? I did not read any such thing in the N-400 instructions!??

The multiple A# files issue is a rare occurrence and it happens when USCIS fails to reconcile the various files they may have under your name. I was on an F1, OPT, H1B, etc (and I am sure so did a lot of the people here) and never had a problem. As far as I know there isn't anything you can do in advance to alleviate your chances of running into the multiple A# issue.

-KM

The multiple A# files issue is a rare occurrence and it happens when USCIS fails to reconcile the various files they may have under your name. I was on an F1, OPT, H1B, etc (and I am sure so did a lot of the people here) and never had a problem. As far as I know there isn't anything you can do in advance to alleviate your chances of running into the multiple A# issue.

-KM

Kagemusha,
Thanks. I seem to think as you mentioned too.

But a few others seem to be writing "advance letters to USCIS"...not sure if those help :confused: