ds230 - present address - Issues because of conflicting posts - please let\'s clarify for everybody\

crazygc

Registered Users (C)
I have read conflicting messages on this post regarding which address to use in item 13 - present address
The basic question is whether this should be a US address or a India (mumbai) address.
I have read some posts here that said that when somebody had written US address, the officer there had asked him to change it to India address; whereas I was just reading a question posted by consulargc, and the reply by a few people was that it should be US address.
Please, somebody knowlegeable, reply to this, and explain what is the correct one to use.
I will compile the results and finally post it here for future users
thanks a lot

#13 is local address in native country

I had filled my US address on the 230 I had sent with P3.
I took DS230 with me for interview with US address and the "doc-collecting-girl" asked me to change it to local delhi address.

No Title

I had originally sent OF230 Part I form along with AC-140 papers and I-824 receipt. I also filled DS230 Part I when I went for my interview just in case if they ask me to fill DS230. The officer did ask me the DS230 and was pleased to see that I had written the address in India.

I think we need to understand that these forms are used by all immigrant visa applicants

And typically they are outside US. So "local address" for them would be the country where they are residing currently (usually native country as Patta has mentioned). I guess the confusion is for us folks who are already in US, where it is subject to interpretation. Delhi and Mumbai seem to insist that it is an Indian address at the time of interview (but not when they recieve pkt 3). Chennai doesn\'t seem to care, but they use that address to send the pkt 4 to. So bottomline for us CPers I would say, if you have an address in your native country that you can give, give that, if not give US address (and try to reason it out with the consulate if reqd !).

I plan to take two versions of the form

One with US address, one with Indian address. Whichever they say is right, I will give it to them. Just takes a few minutes to make two versions :)

passport address diff than actual address in mumbai.

Can that create a problem? Though, we still own prev apt its been
rented out. i want to give latest address where my folks are right
now in case there is postal communication by USConsulate. But that
address will be diff than perm address on my passport.
or is it better and safer to give same address as on passsport to
avoid any conflicts?
Guys, Pls advice.

Eforms are invented for this...

I am using the fillable PDF files and carrying - like eb1seeker - both versions of DS230 & OF169 forms i.e. one with US address & the other with Indian. Whichever they want, they can have that.

Give the correct address to receive correspondence

"Permanent Address" on Passport rarely is Permanent :)

Can one fill the fillable form and send them to the lawyer ...

so that when the Pkt3 is received, the lawyer straight away sends it to St. Louis?

Is this ok or we have to fill the forms sent with pkt3?

both are fine

Some consulates insist that the forms they sent should be filled. Safest bet is to download forms from NVC and fill those. The bottom line is that you have to sign it. The same goes with your beneficiaries (if any) overseas. Which means snail mail! A pity in this electronic age that we still have to use "mail packets".