Ds-230

dxr1234

Hi Rajiv,
I have submitted DS-230 form and mentioned fee for my brother and his wife in June 17,2002. I did not submit I-864. I was confused to submit I-864. Should I-864 form be submitted in India? How long will it take?
Thanks in advance.

Are you petitioning your Bro etc to come to the US??

what exactly does the DS-230 do?

i think you need an I 134 or even an I 864 don't know about that one.

dxr1234:

DS-230 is the part I of the Immigrant visa application. This has to be filled out by the beneficiary or his designated agent. It has to be signed by the beneficiary.

The I-864( Affidavit of support ) is to be filled by the sponsoring individual and any one else who is a joint sponsor. For eg., your spouse will be a joint sponsor if you need his/her income to qualify to support x number of individuals.

The above mentioned documents are required to be submitted, before you can have the NVC send the packet 3 and then forward the case to the USC. Following are the excerpts that can shed light on the subject

FAMILY PETITION
(For Beneficiary Outside of the United States)
Once the petition is approved by the immigration service center, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC)._ The NVC will then send a form entitled Choice of Address and Agent for Immigrant Visa Applicants (DS-3032) to the principal beneficiary of the immigrant visa petition, at the same time that the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) is sent to the petitioner._ The DS-3032 will allow the beneficiary to designate an address and agent (typically a relative or attorney based in the U.S.) to which the NVC should direct future communications._ Once this form is returned to the NVC, packet 3 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration—Part I) will be sent to the designated person. Packet 3 is completed and then sent to the consulate where the beneficiary will apply for an immigrant (permanent resident) visa. At that time, packet 4 (Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration—Part II) is completed by the beneficiary and presented at the time of the final consular appointment.

A separate package of each of the above documents must also be sent for each accompanying family member (spouse or minor children). You must also submit the appropriate filing fees for each applicant at the time of the consular interview._

Following the consular interview, an immigrant visa package will be given to each applicant. They then have up to six (6) months to enter the United States with their immigrant visas. Note: The accompanying family members may not enter the United States prior to the principal applicant._

At the time of entry to the US a temporary resident stamp will be placed in the applicant’s passport (and family members if any) which will constitute evidence of permanent residence status and work authorization, until the alien card arrives in the mail. It usually takes 3-6 months to receive the alien card, but during this period the person is entitled to all the rights of a permanent resident including the right to work, travel, attend school, petition for qualifying family members, etc.

PS to Sachin Phadke:

These are the issues that I believe should be in the form of FAQ's as pe rmy email to you.

Last edited by a moderator: