DS 230 Part I.....Previous visits to US....for Canadians

James Smith

Registered Users (C)
Canadians visit US quite often and there wont be any stamping as proof of visit. What shall we mention for the question relating to the details of previous visits to US....If we mention all our previous visits to US, do they ask for proof of visit or do they they know how it works for Canadian visitors to US.
Thanks in advance.

My experience

I asked someone at the NVC about this. She said to do the best job I could, but recognized that it might impossible to be 100% accurate. It seems that they are most concerned about times in the U.S. where we were not visitors, or there longer than 6 months (which is exceeds the visitors limit). I typed out an exhaustive list of every visit that I could think of (1 1/2 pages), but gave up on trips during my childhood. I stated that I made trips as a child, but couldn\'t determine specific dates. I submitted this with my Packet 3 and found out that they have already assessed it and determined it to be complete, so obviously they thought my list was adequate. (I feel for those who live very close to the border, and make weekly or even daily trips across the border!)

No Title

I just indicated:
From-to: 1986-1998, location - Short trips, shopping, vacations, a type of visa - a visa waiver, A# - N/A.
I also indicated a time frame for my TN, then H1-B, and etc.

I lived in Ottawa, 80 km from the US border, so it would be impossible for me to list all the trips from 1986 to 1998. At the same time, when they see your Canadian employment history being consistent, it is very unlikely that you took off and went to the US for a very long time. Anyway, my answer satisfied them and no additional questions were asked in regards to my 1986-1998 US visits.