Driving Licence Renewal

dhairya

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

This is regards to Driving Licence Renewal in OH

We have to renew Driving Licence every year, it is valid till your EAD is valid

I went to BMV and they are asking me to provide Employment Letter,I-9, and ORIGINAL I-485 receipt!!!!

I don't have ORIGINAL I-485!!!! It is with Lawyer and he just gives me a copy!!!

Anyone who has recently renewed Driving Licence can you please suggest something?

Please help!!!!:confused: :confused:

I took my EAD card & an employment letter from my office

I took passport, EAD, I-485 receipt notice (original) , EAD and employment letter. The lady at the BMV look at the expiration date at EAD and gave me a driving license with a valid date upto the expiration date of the EAD which was nearly 11 months from the date the driving license was issued.

dhairya

It's stupid of them to ask for original I-485 receipt without knowing that BCIS doesn't mail I-485 receipts directly to the applicant. Anyway, you can contact your lawyer, inform him about the DMV rules and get the original from him. Lawyers don't need originals anyway. They can keep a copy for themselves.

Did you try explaining them the policy of BCIS regarding mailing I-485 receipts ? If the DMV is so educated about I-485 and I-94 stuff, they should have known this one too.

I live in IL and I renewed by license recently. I took my EAD with me. They did not even bother to ask for it. They just asked me if it is the same address, I said yes and they renewed it for another 4 yrs. again.

Non Renewable/Non Transferable

I am in OH too. Does Permanent Resident Status approval entitle one for a normal license...? I have renewed my license 3 times in a year and I need to get another renewal done before Dec 7th 2003.

hoho

Permanent residents are entitled to everything a citizen is entitled too, except voting in elections and eligibility to apply for jobs related to security of the nation or anything specifically prohibited by US government.

Folks

Thanks for your inputs. I will be after my Lawyer to get my orig I-485

I already had renewed my DL twice since last two years just used to carry my original EAD, SSN, and passport. They used to renew DL until EAD was valid. I don't know maybe :p this time I might get my GC :confused: :confused:

Tx

I went for Renewal for my wife last friday in NJ.

DMV(Wayne,NJ) asked for Passport, EAD,Prev license and proof of address, SSN Card all original and got renewed till validity of EAD. For Proof of Address I gave her the same letter in which we get the EAD. (I tried giving her the 485 reciept but they wanted original no Copies at all. My Original Recpt was at home).

Hope this helps to someone...

We had the same problem with Ohio BMV. Initially, I showed them my EAD. This made them to give the DL till the EAD expiration date.

The next time around, I showed them the original 485 receipt instead and they extended my DL for 4 years.

It is best for you to keep your original 485 receipt for these purposes. I obtained mine by going physically to my lawyer's office and mentioning to the staff that I needed the 485 receipt since I would be travelling overseas.

It is pathetic that we all are reduced to the state of using these ploys to get what should be rightfully ours.

you should keep Original

485 receipt, get it from your lawyer. It is required at the port of entry along with AP doc.

waiting_4_485

My driving licence was recently renewed for 4 years. All I needed was my old licence!

I do not know if rules are different for different states. I'm from MI.

Regarding duplicate liscence

I just got a duplicate liscence card yestedray, because of Change in Address. I was asked only my SSN card and old liscence. My wife gave her ITIN for a learner's permit. I am from NC.