Drivers License

chandler825

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I am currently under Advance Parole processing for my GC (RD Nov 2 - VSC). My H1B is expiring July 10 & my AZ drivers license is also expiring on July 10th as they has issued me the licinse until my H1-B was valid. I called the DMV to check how I can extend the License & they told me that we will have to wait until we have our GC to renew the license.

What are my options. Any help would be appreciated.

Chd

what?

does that mean u cannot drive after july 10th and till u get ur GC?
that is stupid. explain to them about EAD and show them ur I485
receipt. That may help.

I was told that I needed Visa.

I walked out thinking it was GC that they wanted. But eventually, I took my EAD. The best part was, when I went the second time with EAD they said the rule is no longer existing to check the visa. It was in MA, in March\'02 (this year) though. I guess they should accept your EAD.

No Title

I assume you have EAD. Otherwise you are in trouble. You have to have either EAD or H1 to work. With i-485 receipt you can stay here legally but cannot work. When I applied for DL my H1 was expired , however I showed my EAD and they did not ask any questions and granted transfer of DL.

Go to your DMV rather than calling.

Hi

I am leaving in NJ, and just renewal my Driving License. My H1 is expired in Sept. 2002, but they didn\'t ask me any proof at all. I went overthere, and got my new Lic. which is valid for 2006. Go one time to DMV rather than calling.

The procedures in issuing driver\'s licenses are different in different states.

Hence just go to the nearest DMV and apply for renewal. Don\'t explain anything, when they ask or just give them EAD along with application.That\'s it. Job will be done.

Thanks for the Info - I will use my EAD

I have my EAD & am will use that for the renewal. Appreciate all your inputs.

Sharing my Exp. from CT

In CT, DMV want to see either extended I-94 or Green Card. EAD/485 receipt not acceptable. I tried to explain for 20 min but in vain.

Same experience with me in CT

Not only they would not accept my EAD, but are asking to get an employement letter from my company(which is in detroit) as to why I am working in CT (I am working for a client in CT).

Foolish DMV.......

I think people who works, in DMV..have no sense....I went for my wife Drivers liecence....They asked a letter from my company saying she is my wife..even I showed all passport, H1B, H4, W2...etc...they didn\'t accept it.

I asked my company they said \'WHAT....??????!!!!!!!!!!\'

I can laugh for this for a year..

I renewed the licensens in VA with out even going to DMV.

Normally the DMV will send the Renewal form to your home.
( If you have your home address updated with the DMV)
Just Fill the Form and send it by post with the check your new license will come by post.

Each state has a different policy regarding the issuance of Driver\'s License and of course renewal

From my personal experience, I know that California DMV will not issue or renew a driver\'s license without a U.S. birth certificate or some sort of proof of legal residence. For foreigners, the DL will be issued/renewed only upto the end of their current legal resedence period. So this means that if someone has a H1 for one year, his/her DL will remain valid only up to the end of his/her H1. However, in Pennsylvania, Florida, Iowa or Illinois, they do not ask for any such thing. You will be issued a DL once you are able to show them the proof of your residence in that state (eg., utility bills in your name, a checkbook with your name and address on it, etc.). In AZ and CT, I think that their policy is similar to that of California. You should be able to get the DL by showing them the EAD. You may have to convince them that since EAD allows you to work, it also ensures your legal status in the U.S.

EAD does NOT prove Legal Status

The EAD does nothing of the sort. It just means that you can work. The I-485 receipt proves legal status; you can file I-485 without an EAD and be legally within the US.

EAD definitely proves legal status

If one has an EAD, it definitely proves that the person has some sort of legal status to remain in U.S and to work. EAD may not explicitly state the basis of that status, but can you give me an example where the person in question has no legal status but has a valid EAD. I agree that I-485 receipt notice itself should be sufficient proof of legal status, but I do not see why EAD should also not serve as a proof of such a status.

Not necessarily

MGM, keep in mind that EADs are given out to folks that have filed an I-485, but there are other reasons for them being filed. Non-immigrants in E-2, J-2, K-1 and L-2 status can also apply for an EAD. An individual whose status has expired (let\'s say the L-1 holder is laid off) is no longer in status, although they posess a valid EAD.

I suspect I\'m splitting hairs here, but the EAD isn\'t proof of legal status. In the case of AOS filings it might be, but there\'s no distinction between an EAD from that and an EAD from an E, J, or L spouse.

Practically speaking, if you claim the EAD as proof of valid status you get a Driver\'s License for a year, and the state gets to screw you again in a year\'s time for the renewal fee. Personally, I\'d march into the DMV with my I-485 receipt and claim that it allows me to stay in the US indefinitely until ajudication, and demand that I get the full 2 or 3 years\' validity. And if the DMV doesn\'t give it to me, I\'d talk to my state representative and remind them that in five years I\'ll be a US citizen.

If they brush you off, remind them what happened to the California Republican party when they took the idea that immigrants can\'t vote. They all applied for naturalisation and kicked the bastards out.

MGM

California will not only see H1 but also contact INS.Only if INS updates the file with some information about our legal status, then only CA will issue Driver\'s license. That\'s why we see people getting their licenses from one month to over one year.This is just like GC approval. My wife got her License after 9 months of passing Driving test.Meanwhile we used to contact DMV ever month. They used to tell us, they did not recieve any update from INS. That\'s the first time I heard something like this new, for a Driving License. Our Visa Expired in April 2001 and Got the extension papers into hand in Aug 2001.Applied I-485 and Immediately sent our stuff to Dept of State for stamping in August 01. Contacted DMV in the last week of Sept2001, they said file is updated by INS. Recieved License in October 1st week and recieved passports from Dept of State in Oct last week.

People(aliens) in CA, recieve their licenses only when INS updates the file. It may be one month or over a year.If it is over a year, then again people have to fill the applin. form but no need to pay the fee again.Temporary license will be issued again.

This is my exeprience.