Driver's License & SSN after oath & wait?

DKSearch

Registered Users (C)
Right after the oath, I went to the SSA Office to apply an updated SSN with my new name. After a long wait, I was told that they can accept the application after 10 days from the oath. What a fun...! I went to MVA to apply a new driver's license.... and was told that they can issue a new driver's license after 48 hours from the SSN application acceptance. It is all about the government data synchronization and etc, etc based on what they say.

So, my only choice on the oath day was to apply my US passport..

Does anyone have this type of routines?

* N-400
08/08/2007 : GC Rcv'd
05/07/2012 : N-400 mailed
05/14/2012 : PD
05/18/2012 : NOA Rcv'd
05/29/2012 : FP notice not Rcv'd
06/27/2012 : Infopass for FP
07/05/2012 : FP done (walk-in)
07/10/2012 : In line for interview
08/20/2012 : IL mailed
09/25/2012 : Interview done; Name Change Requested
11/19/2012 : Oath Done with New Name

*N-600 for My Children
11/23/2012 : N-600 mailed

That's pretty standard. I was told to wait for at least two weeks after the oath before going to the SSA. Hence, I also did apply for my US passport first. I then went to the SSA with my US passport which was about 30 days after my oath.

You should have checked the forums here, you would have learned that there's no use rushing to the SSA office for at least 2 weeks.

Bummer...! I learned it in a hard way..
From Day 1 of US Citizenship, I blamed the US Government being so slow on everything :)

Bummer...! I learned it in a hard way..
From Day 1 of US Citizenship, I blamed the US Government being so slow on everything :)

The state government is slow also. We (my wife and I) had to update our address with the MVA since we moved. She got an address update card and it took them a month to mail it and she did the update at one of their machines at a full-service branch. I had to get a new license card since I have a CDL and they said that they were going to notify the state board of elections of my change of address and that never happened. I had to notify my county board of elections directly.

The state government is slow also. We (my wife and I) had to update our address with the MVA since we moved. She got an address update card and it took them a month to mail it and she did the update at one of their machines at a full-service branch. I had to get a new license card since I have a CDL and they said that they were going to notify the state board of elections of my change of address and that never happened. I had to notify my county board of elections directly.

Well, almost everywhere in the World it's the same: Government is slow :)

You should have checked the forums here, you would have learned that there's no use rushing to the SSA office for at least 2 weeks.
Well, after our oath ceremony my wife and I went straight to the SSA and updated our names/status there. Nobody told us it was too early even though it was literally 30 minutes after the oath. My wife got the acknowledgement letter the next day and the new social security card a day letter (total 2 days after naturalisation). For me it took about 4 weeks because according to the SSA, they were waiting for the USCIS response. The only difference between my wife and me was that or applications were processed by different SSA clerks.

So, I would still encourage people to try applying for a SSN soon after naturalisation. There is no general rule to wait a specific time, and I believe that the SSA should not reject your application on this ground - you may have to wait for your SSN longer, yes, but you still should be able to apply without having to wait.

As a matter of fact, I would suggest first to update the SSN and the driving licence, and then to apply for a passport. This way, even if your certificate of naturalisation is lost in the mail on the way to DoS (very unlikely but still non-zero probability), you will have an updated SSN and identification to satisfy I-9 requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after our oath ceremony my wife and I went straight to the SSA and updated our names/status there.

So it looks like different SSA offices have different procedures. According to the OP's post, he waited for a long time in a line and then was told to come back 10 days later.

Maybe calling ahead the SSA office makes sense before going there and being turned away.

---

Last edited by a moderator:
In Illinois/Chicago things are different. We went to DMV office direct from Oath ceremony. Three blocks away. Got new DL as name change involved within 45 minutes. Went to SSA. They took the old card. Gave a receipt. New card came in post within 2 weeks. THAT"S GOVERNMENT THAT WORKS!!!!!

In Illinois/Chicago things are different. We went to DMV office direct from Oath ceremony. Three blocks away. Got new DL as name change involved within 45 minutes. Went to SSA. They took the old card. Gave a receipt. New card came in post within 2 weeks. THAT"S GOVERNMENT THAT WORKS!!!!!

Wow, isn't that Mr. Obama's hometown? :)