Drivers License renewal

gc249

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My spouse I-94 and Drivers license are going to expire in next month and H4 visa extension has been filed for extension, it may take 6 months to get approval.
Mean time is there any way to get DL renewal from state PA.
She may get EAD/ Advance parole soon but we don’t want to utilize before 140
approval. If she takes SSN based on EAD/ Advance parole does it mean her H4 may get invalid based on EAD used status even though she is not planning to working near future?
Please advice.

Thanks,
GC249

gc249 said:
Hi All,

My spouse I-94 and Drivers license are going to expire in next month and H4 visa extension has been filed for extension, it may take 6 months to get approval.
Mean time is there any way to get DL renewal from state PA.
She may get EAD/ Advance parole soon but we don’t want to utilize before 140
approval. If she takes SSN based on EAD/ Advance parole does it mean her H4 may get invalid based on EAD used status even though she is not planning to working near future?
Please advice.

Thanks,
GC249
I'm trying to understand your situation. So you're H1 and H4 are also expiring next month? Wouldn't you need to use your EAD to work as well? I wouldn't think using an EAD for a driver's license would invalidate the H4 but you should consult your lawyer on this. Also, check your local DMV identification requirements. They may have other ways of getting your DL (ie. showing pending 485 application receipt, etc.)

If my H1 applied for extension I no need to use EAD even though I am going to get, being it is valid and I can work on H1 status even though I have expired I-94.
But for DL renewal they need valid I-94 which I will get only after H1/H4 approval. In my case they issued for 3years but for my spouse they did for one year only where the problem is raised.
Thanks,
GC249

I would call the PA DMV and ask them about your spouses particular situation (ie. H4 renewal pending). Maybe they will offer a 1 year renewal based on that the fact that she is still a "lawful temporary resident". You would have to at least provide the reciept notice for the H4 renewal.

We had a talk with DMV for showing the receipt notice.
The actual situation DL is valid till Feb.
The original I-94 expires date on H4 status is Jan.
H1/H4 filed for extension. But still DMV wants original I-94 which comes after appoval of H1/H4.

Thanks for your replies.

gc249 said:
We had a talk with DMV for showing the receipt notice.
The actual situation DL is valid till Feb.
The original I-94 expires date on H4 status is Jan.
H1/H4 filed for extension. But still DMV wants original I-94 which comes after appoval of H1/H4.

Thanks for your replies.
Well hopefully the H4 will come back soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Good luck!

Did they give you 3 years which is more than your I-94 validity

gc249 said:
If my H1 applied for extension I no need to use EAD even though I am going to get, being it is valid and I can work on H1 status even though I have expired I-94.
But for DL renewal they need valid I-94 which I will get only after H1/H4 approval. In my case they issued for 3years
If your 's was issued for 3 years, how come your wife 's DL was not? Did they give you 3 years which is more than your I-94 validity date?

but for my spouse they did for one year only where the problem is raised.
Thanks,
GC249

Hi,

Try renewing it online.
All you will need is a personal pin from dmv. you can call and ask dmv to mail it to your home. Once you renew it they will send a card asking you to go to your nearest dmv center to get your picture taken.