Driver's License Question. Gurus in NY please help.

myflightcn

Registered Users (C)
I moved to NY last year and changed my driver's license to NY's DL. But the new DL was to expire within one year. I guess it is because I showed them my EAD card (485 bases), which is valid for only one year. I wonder if I show them 485 receipt, could they issue me a DL with longer validity?

Thank you.

Showing I 485receipt wont work to renew DL

If you have valid H1 Visa approval (for longer period than your current DL) that will work to extend your DL but I 485 receipt wont work...Else you have to Renew your DL with every renewel of EAD..

myflightcn said:
I moved to NY last year and changed my driver's license to NY's DL. But the new DL was to expire within one year. I guess it is because I showed them my EAD card (485 bases), which is valid for only one year. I wonder if I show them 485 receipt, could they issue me a DL with longer validity?

Thank you.

I just got my DL changed to Pennsylvania DL because of moving.
The director of my local DL's department showed me a form which list the materials needed for all non-immigrant status.
For AOS (I-485 pending):
1. SSN card
2. 2 proof of residence
3. I-485 receipt.
4. EAD or passport.
Since no one knows how long it will take for I-485 approvement, in that form also stated that the DL will be only valid for 1 year.
I didn't show them my EAD.

I did my renewal in PA, I dont have a valid visa, but since it was a renewal they did give me for four years. (Infact when i applied for the first time in AZ, i got it for 40 years). I think if you apply for the first time, they insist on all the documentation.

Rules and regulations certainly vary across states, but they are expected to get tightened in most states.. I live in the state that is at the forefront of this trend, and here, those who are neither citizens nor permanent residents have to show all sorts of documents (see the list given by benjamin1001) whether it's the first time or it's the renewal. As for the term of dv license, it expires whenever one's visa (e.g. f1/j1/h1) expires. For those with a pending emp based AOS case, the license expires whenever the EAD expires! When I first got my first driver's license (10 years ago) all I had to show was my passport! Those were the good old days!! To me, the most annoying aspect of all is to have to make an appointment to meet a local gov official in one office in order to get some paper issued and then bring that to a DMV office to have the license renewed. And these offices are in different parts of the city. It takes a good half day just to renew the license for a year!
Anyway, I just got my i-485 approval, and am glad that I won't have to go through this process again...

it seems no better way to get a longer expiration for DL. Since the renewed EAD card is valid from the AD instead of the expiration date of the old card, it means we have to renew the DL every couple of months. :mad:

Hey, do you know anything about keeping DL from two states? I got PA DL based on old CA DL, but then DL from CA expired soon thereafter and I can stil renew it online. I've heard it's illegal...

Hey benjamin1001,
I recently moved to PA from different state. I have my I485 pending for last 2 1/2 years. when I went to PENDOT (allentown/Bethelehem center) for my driving license transfer, they denied saying I do not have any proof that shows some future date validity for at least 1 year. I showed them my EAd that was valid for 6+ months even that they didn't accept as proof. which PA center did you go to for your license transfer. Any further details will be appreciated.

Me and my spouse had the like yours that the Direvers license had "Status expires ..." on the top part of the card and in the botom it had a different date as expiry date. We went to renew on two different dates after receiving our new EAD. They said to me that it is not necessary to change when the status is changed. But they renewed mine with my new address with no status info printed now on the card. but for my spouse it still has been renewed with status.

Check for the message I posted on 5/6/2005, EAD is not required (it says EAD or passport).
From the penndot web site, search with a keyword "immigration", you shoud find a PDF file called "IDENTIFICATION AND LEGAL PRESENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR NON-UNITED STATES CITIZENS ", take that to DL office. If it still doesn't work, go see the director. For me, the officer didn't give me DL untill the director come.
By the way, I am in philadelphia area.
change to RFE received.
07/08/05: LUD, no message change
07/11/05: LUD, no message change
07/12/05: LUD, no message change
07/25/05: LUD, no message change
08/02/05: LUD, Approved, approval notice mailed
08/02/05: Card ordered
08/05/05: Card mailed
08/06/05: Approval notice received
08/08/05: Card received