Driver's License in New Jersey....Please Advice

Explorer19

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys

My I-485 got approved last week. I am going for passport stamping on 2 Feb at Newark, NJ

My question:

As most of the NJ drivers know, my present NJ driver's license does not have any photo and will expire in July 2006. I wud like to get the new digital photo license.

Will they accept the passport I-551 ADIT stamping to get the new license? (I do have 6 points for obtaining license)
If Yes, Can we get the full validity of 4 years on the license or is it just 1 year?

Note: I have heard people saying that in NJ, even after showing the passport ADIT stamping they are just issuing only 1 year validity on license and for 4 year validity they need the physical green card. How far is this true?

Please advice. Thanks in advance

It really depends on the DMV centre. I got mine renewed may 2004 with my H visa expiring april 2005 and i got 4yrs to expire in 2008 and samething with my spouse, we both got 4yrs.
With your passport stamped, that is enough to give you 4yrs i think.
Hope this helps.

Explorer19 said:
Hi Guys

My I-485 got approved last week. I am going for passport stamping on 2 Feb at Newark, NJ

My question:

As most of the NJ drivers know, my present NJ driver's license does not have any photo and will expire in July 2006. I wud like to get the new digital photo license.

Will they accept the passport I-551 ADIT stamping to get the new license? (I do have 6 points for obtaining license)
If Yes, Can we get the full validity of 4 years on the license or is it just 1 year?

Note: I have heard people saying that in NJ, even after showing the passport ADIT stamping they are just issuing only 1 year validity on license and for 4 year validity they need the physical green card. How far is this true?

Please advice. Thanks in advance
1 Year is true, atleast in Kilmer Road NJ DMV.

Q_amina said:
It really depends on the DMV centre. I got mine renewed may 2004 with my H visa expiring april 2005 and i got 4yrs to expire in 2008 and samething with my spouse, we both got 4yrs.
With your passport stamped, that is enough to give you 4yrs i think.
Hope this helps.

Which DMV office did you go to ?

Should all DL centers follow the same rule set by the state DMV?

Check DMV website or their publication for details.
If the official rule favors you, you have to argue
with the DL officers. Talk to their supervisors

I heard many New Jersey residents have trouble when asked for a photo
ID because they don't have one :). It may give PRs some incentives
to carry the GC all the time.

AmericanWannabe said:
I heard many New Jersey residents have trouble when asked for a photo
ID because they don't have one :). It may give PRs some incentives
to carry the GC all the time.
When you show the Drivers License for photo ID, why would that be a problem? I am in NJ for several years now and never had any issue.

As far as drivers license is concerned, it really depends on the DMV center or the person that you are dealing with at that center. It's sick but true. The center that I went to gave me for 2 years and 2 months with the stamp (my current DL was expiring in two months, so they gave the usual 1 year + 2 months + 1 year bonus?). If you go to the regional DMV, like Wayne center, you can get it for 4 years, if you are lucky. My friend got it for 4 years from Wayne with the stamp.

My wife's NJ license was nearing expiration when we went to the Somerville DMV with her 551 stamp (GC hadn't arrived yet). They gave her a new digital licence with 1 yr validity. They told us that for a 4 yr validity, they need to see the GC itself ! Ridiculous !

-PunetoNJ.

hi PuneToNJ
I was trying to go to somerville DMV too after my stamping tomorrow. so u mean there is no use in going. my license expires July 2006. so even then will they give me license only for 1 year?
or i might as well wait another month or 2 to receive the card and the go for the license.

btw when was ur wife's license expiring? how much time was left on it?

Explorer19,

I would suggest wait for the GC and then go for the licence. July 2006 is good enough I would say. My wife's was expiring in Jan'05 hence she had no choice but to renew.
Your stamp itself would expire within a year and your current licence is valid past the stamp expiry. SO they won't even give you a new licence. When you get the GC, even then they advise you to wait until the current one expires. When you get the renewal notice for the July'2006 one, I would suggest you go then.

-PunetoNJ.

Hi puneToNJ
I went to somerville DMV and they gave me license for 1 year + 3 months that is until 1 May 2006. I lost 2 months from the old one. The bad thing is that they put the words "TEMP IMMGRATION STATUS" on the license. I argued with them, they said that only after I get the plastic green card, i have to go again and they will remove it

Did they put "TEMP IMMGR STATUS" for ur wife also?

Yes, they put the Temp Immi. Status on my wife's DL even though she's a LPR. We even argued but no point.

Well it's NJ, I guess they don't understand the difference between temporary proof and temporary status ... No surprised.