Driver's License Extension for H1B Holder

Extension DL when H1 expired in CA

In state of CA, if you have a expired H1 (as well as I-94) and if you applied for H1 extension (even if your GC processing) and if you provide Employer notice saying you're extension is under process, DMV WON'T accept it! All they want is new approved petition/I-94 or any proof of US residency! This really sux specially during the period of H1 extension!!

Bharatiya said:
Hi All,
I just got my license extended for 8 months in New Jersey while my H1 extenion is in process. I don't know the reason but at NJ DMV no one is aware of this situation and they simply deny your application. In Trenton, after much discussion I was able to get it. The process is that you'll have to get a letter from your employer in certain format along with the H1 receipt. The format is given below. It is absolutely necessary to show both the letter and notice. The letter should be on company letterhead. And this possible in only Regional Service Site(RSS), like Trenton. Good Luck.

Date

Motor Vehicle Commission
RSS Site Name
RSS Site Address

I hereby certify that ________________ is currently employed by ____________ and has been employed since ______________.

I certify that, on ______________, I filed an H1B petition extension and application for extension of stay on behalf of this individual (see attached receipt notice from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)).

Pursuant to 8 CFR 274a.12(b)(20), this individual is authorized to continue employment with ____________ for a period not to exceed 240 days beginning on the date of the expiration of the authorized period of stay (as indicated on the immigration documentation).

I further certify that if I receive that the USCIS had denied the application prior to the 240 day period and if <name, Driver license number>, ceases to be employed by ________________ during the 240 day period, I will notify the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), in writing as soon as practicable. I will send such notice to:

Legal & Regulatory Affairs Unit
Motor Vehicle Commission
PO Box 162
Trenton, NJ 08666-0162

Sincerely,

Signature of
individual certifying
the information

Print Name & Title

Hi Bharatiya,

Is this the legal procedure you followed or just you got it on your own idea? I'm going to have same situation later this year. I just want to be sure if this works for me too.

Thanks.

Hi,

I went to my Local Jersey City DMV for Extension of DL, the lady just denied that We need valid Visa, i tried at other DMV in Edison and I got it - No Questions Asked - Extention for 8 Months, so by that time, i will get my H1 Approval.

So, Even if somebody got shot down at one DMV, try at other and you might get it, its just not all of them knows the Rules.

Hope this helps.

Thanx,

Dave.

DL expiring with visa

I am in the same boat as well since my DL (and my wife's DL) and current H1B expires on Oct 15. I cannot apply for H1B extension yet since I will be out of country on a business trip. I am coming back 20 days before the expiration date so even if I apply the day I return (which I will as suggested by lawyer) I cannot get the approval in 20 days.

CA DMV will not renew until I get the new approved I-797. You cannot renew online unless you get a letter from DMV with a Renewal Identification Number which I didn't get.

I am requesting my employer to renew with premium processing which is the only way my lawyer and I think we can get the 797 approval and DL by my Oct 15 expiry date. Hope my employer agrees to it.

by mail

I am in the same boat as well since my DL (and my wife's DL) and current H1B expires on Oct 15. I cannot apply for H1B extension yet since I will be out of country on a business trip. I am coming back 20 days before the expiration date so even if I apply the day I return (which I will as suggested by lawyer) I cannot get the approval in 20 days.

CA DMV will not renew until I get the new approved I-797. You cannot renew online unless you get a letter from DMV with a Renewal Identification Number which I didn't get.

I am requesting my employer to renew with premium processing which is the only way my lawyer and I think we can get the 797 approval and DL by my Oct 15 expiry date. Hope my employer agrees to it.

In the interim you might look into CA form DL 410 FO, renewal by mail. Unless you already received refusual in person. Worth a shot at least IMO...

Michigan DL

Hi

Just , I have relocated to Michigan from Illinois. My current Illinois driving license is valid upto 2017 and My current H1B visa is valid for next 6 month only.
In Michigan, Will get driving license based on VISA/I-94 expire only. Shall I wait for H1B extension approval and then go for Michigan driving license? Pl suggest.

Thanks
SK