Driver License after 485 approval

Kanadian

Registered Users (C)
Just want to update all of you that today I took my wife with me to get new driver's license. well DMV folks on the front counter told me and my wife on seprate windows that they can renew our driver's license only upto the stamping expiry date then I argued with them and then they decided to take our papers inside and talk to supervisor. Finally they renewed our licenses for five years.....good luck.

Unfortunately I couldn't convice the supervisor at BMV ( Columbus-Oh) and got the renewal by the stamping date. She insisted on seeing the actual GC.

Kanadian said:
Just want to update all of you that today I took my wife with me to get new driver's license. well DMV folks on the front counter told me and my wife on seprate windows that they can renew our driver's license only upto the stamping expiry date then I argued with them and then they decided to take our papers inside and talk to supervisor. Finally they renewed our licenses for five years.....good luck.

Why do the DMV folks need proof of permanent residency to renew the driver's license? My license expired last year before my 485 got approved and I got the standard 8 year renewal. No one asked any thing related to our immigration status. The same applied to my spouse too.

gchopeful2005 said:
Why do the DMV folks need proof of permanent residency to renew the driver's license? My license expired last year before my 485 got approved and I got the standard 8 year renewal. No one asked any thing related to our immigration status. The same applied to my spouse too.
Depends on the state where you live. IL is ok and some states like NJ, PA and OH are very strict I heard.

NJ is all screwed up.

I got standard 4 years by showing my Advance Parole stamp once.

In the same DMV my wife showed the 485 Approval stamp and got it for 9 months. We had to talk to the people for 2-3 hrs to explain them what GC /permanent Resident Process/Stamp is or they refused to renew it unless we show the card.

at Springfield,NJ

Its dependent on States

Everything is dependent on states where you live. But this will be standardised soon, that the date your I-94 is valid , thats the date they will issue expiry of driving license. Thats the new Department of Homeland Security rule. DMV's are getting integrated once it happens to all the 50 states, every one of you will experience same.

Kanjoos