Driver Licence during 485 stage....

codex

Registered Users (C)
My CA driving licence expires in Dec 2003. I know a lot of info was posted on this forum. Can anybody let me know what to do..
thanks in advance

My driving license expired in October'2003, I had got mail around 60 days before the expiration from DMV. I sent check and I got my license in 15 days. So try to send in mail itself.

One of my colleague was staying in NY and now he got job in NJ. So when he went for driver licence, he had to spend whole day, producing all the papers, including 485, EAD and passport. Since his EAD was expiring 6 mnths later, they gave him license only for 6 mnths.

I am in bay area and my DL was expired one month ago. I never received the renewal by mail from DMV so 4 weeks before my DL expire, I printed the form from DMV website and mailed it out, still I did not get anything, then at last week I went to DMV local office, the official did not ask me any questions and just asked me to fill in a new form and take a picture, gave me a temp DL, 2 weeks lster, I received new DL by mail.

DL and 485 not related

There is NO relation between DL and 485!!!!

You can directly goto the DMV and they will either ask you to take a written test or send you a DL by mail. They are waiting for you 15$!!!!

DL wake up call.

For whatever its worth this thread made me look at my DL... :)) expires in Feb 04. Now I have another bullet in my todo list.

- Raj

Re: how is this related

Originally posted by long_wait_4_gc
i must be missing something big here - how is DL connected to 485?
Atleast until CA law changes to give even illegal immigrants driving licences, 485 is closely linked to DL in the fact that DL is given only to legal residents of the country and you need to prove your legality by various means, none of which will be understood by the people behind the DMV counters.

As brokenarrow mentioned, it is best to apply via mail, where none of the ugly questions will be raised, and a whole lot of time saved!

In California, DL is renewed by mail, if you are eligible. What this means I don't know, probably, clean enough record...They don't care about immigrant status.

you should get something in the mail
call the dmv 1-800 number and ask why u didnt get it
when u send the renewal send by CD with an
acknowledgement. then you can continue using the old one
and always show proof that u sent it for renewal
till it arrives

or gets lost in mail or

DMV gets absorbed by homeland and
you need a lawyer to get a license !!!:cool:

long_wait_4_gc

Exactly how are the DL and 485 connected.

But somehow my colleaugue when he went to apply, he was referred to INS office, for clearance????

He and his wife spend 8.00 to 5.00 for one DL. They were asked innumerable no. of questions. His I-94, I-140, I-485 everything was checked???

He is still disappointed that after all this he got DL for only six months. He is due to renew after 4 mnths, he is already tensed for same. Unfortunately, his DL was expiring and he changed the state also.

So mailing is better deal. But I have never seen this problem in Ca. I know one person who went out of status, still his DL was renewed. (he went in person)

Renewal by mail should be possible in most states.

All they have is a checkbox that asks if you are legal in this country. And then your DL will be renewed!

The only downside is that you will not get a photo-license, so you cant use it as a photo ID. Hang on to your expired photo-license and use the expired and the new one together for photo ID purposes.

Thats the price you pay for trying to be legal in this country. You are forced to do things that you dont normally want to, in order to survive.

The whole situation is a lot easier if you have an approved H1/extension and a stamp on your passport. Basically you get your DL upon that instead of your EAD/AOS status and things should still go hunky dory.

Though Gray Davis was going to sign a bill granting DL to even illegal immigrants which should take all these troubles, of proving legality to a bunch of morons, away.

WOW! Legal immigrants getting benefit thanks to illegal immigrants! :)

I think the connection between 485 and DL is that some of the folks out here would be simply on EAD (no valid H1) and are afraid that DMV won't extend DL based on EAD. But, I guess we saw some postings earlier that people have been successful in getting DL while on EAD. Anybody with such experience?

In Phoenix

In Phoenix, You can get license using EAD/ 485 receipt. Make sure that you take the latest processing times that says 485 processing will take 600-800 days so that you get license for a longer duration.

-Dumeel

D

Dont complicate issues. It is a piece of cake.
I got it last week. I didnt get any mail for renewal.
So, I went there. They didnt ask me for any documentation. She simply looked at my old license, took 15$ fee and gave me the paper which says my license is renewed. I got my card in a week in mail valid for 5 years.....They wont even check ur status and all that if it is renewal.

DL renew is pot luck for EAD holder.

I received the letter for DL renew, but doing so by-mail is not an option, So..

- I went to Redwood City DMV (Bay Area)
- Filled out the form.
- As I approached the counter, I was confronted by a rather angry looking DMV clerk behing the counter.
- The clerk took the form and asked me for proof of residency, which I presented my EAD.
- The clerk went away for a while and came back to inform me that she will need to send my paper away for legal residency verification, and gave me a temporary paper DL.
- As I left the counter, I heard her voice shouting to the next victim. I was mildy relieved that it wasn't just me, and she was probably angry with everyone.
- 2.5 months have passed still nothing in the mail.
- I rang DMV where I was greeted by a helpful voice, who then told me that another temporary DL will be sent to me, then proceed to give me a number for the DMV legal residency group to call.
- I called the number, and an extremely rude lady took the call. She didn't want to go into any detail why it took so long, she simply said that I should received a new DL in 3 weeks.
- Somehow, I don't think anythjing will happen in 3 weeks.

My wife, on the hand, had lost her DL a couple months ago and went to DMV in Santa Clara. She went through the normal process, but no proof of residency was asked. She received her DL in three weeks.

So:

- DO NOT GO TO REDWOOD CITY DMV for renewing DL.
- Avoid angry looking DMV clerks, which I know is hard. But you should try.

bql-csc

WAC-02-119-xxxx

I-485 in relations to DL

Hello there,

I recently received my receipt notice for my I-485 with an A number included on it. I dont have a state ID and Social Security Card, but would like to obtain one .My only ID is my passport and the visa in it is expired. To add to things, my married name is spelt wrong. Ireported it and was told that the mistake would be fixed but i would not receive a new receipt notice. Is it possible for me to obtain an ID and Social Security card with no problems,or should Ijust wait until Iget GC.