Domestic Violence and AOS

hardlife1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Please help me on this one...

Few days ago, I was charged with 2 counts of Class B misdemeanor in the state of Oregon for Domestic Violence. I was arrested by the cops and taken to jail where I was photographed and finger-printed.

Class B misdemeanor is a maximum of 6 months of jail sentence in Oregon.

I have applied for my I-485 last year and awaiting AOS approval. PD: Sep 2004 and AOS receipt date: Aug 2007.

What are the implications on my green card approval?

Please please please, help me on this one...

Hi,

Few days ago, I was charged with 2 counts of Class B misdemeanor in the state of Oregon for Domestic Violence. I was arrested by the cops and taken to jail where I was photographed and finger-printed.

I have applied for my I-485 last year and awaiting AOS approval. PD: Sep 2004 and AOS receipt date: Aug 2007.

Please please please, help me on this one...

This for sure will adversely affect your pending I-485, to what extent this adverse effect will be, I do not know.

Hi,

Possible denial and deportation. See an immigration lawyer IMMEDIATELY. And if you are innocent don't plead guilty or accept probation or a fine or any sort of penalty without carefully discussing it with the lawyer. That is because even if they dismiss the case, the mere fact that you paid a fine or got probation or some other penalty or restriction can be interpreted as a conviction for immigration purposes.

Hardlife,

You are innocent until proven guilty. The legal proceedings with the court will take sometime to finish. Donot plead guilty to anything in the meanwhile. Go for the trial if you think you can win the trial. If you think, you donot stand great chance in the trial, as the very last option, try to talk PP into plea bargain. However remember anything more than disorderly conduct may result in your deportation. You may be okay with no more jail time and anything less than disorderly conduct.