Does pay matter with 180 day rule

rkuwadia

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys

I have used the 180 day rule and changed employer.
Does it matter if I am making less then my previous salary or less than what was filed on my LC.

I am trying to get a letter from my new employer to inform INS about change of employment. My lawyer says I need a letter stating I am making same amount mentioned on my LC. My employer is not willing to provide letter with this information in it as he is paying me lesser amount.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man,

Go here: www.murthy.com
Navigate to AC/21 FAQs.

As long as you're demonstrably not a "public charge", you're fine.
Relax and congrats on new job.

Also, read Sheela's FAQs about notifying INS when
invoking AC21. You don't have to so why stir up the hornets' nest, eh...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also..

Also Show the same to UR Lawyer.........

So Dont worry abt anything...Get UR employer to give a letter, with whatever he pays U now...
and U shold be fine..

No need to inform

Hello rkuwadia,

I have changed jobs after 180 days of I-485 filing. Initially my attorney wanted to follow procedures and inform INS about the job change. But then, my current salary was a little less than what is stated in LC, so we mutually decided not to inform the INS.

To summarize, you do not have to inform INS about a job change, as Chicken65 said, why stir up a hornet's nest.. In case you have a RFE later, you can always reply with the current paystubs and employment letter (here rather than the title, job duties should be similar).

Your salary should be above the threshold value, so that you don't become a public charge. That's all that matters...

By the way, which state r u from.

Thanks

I am from NJ.
My previous employer was in NY, new one in NJ. Not that it matters. Both go to VSC.

Thank you guys for your replies. I have always read these forums but never posted any questions. Reading it was always helpful. I posted my 1st question yesterday and got a reply next day. That is just great.

Thanks again...

rkuwadia .. I had a paid telephone consultation with Sheela Murthy

rkuwadia .. I had a paid telephone consultation with Sheela Murthy and I asked the same question for my employment change after 180 days for which she replied that according to AC21 as long as we are paid above the poverty level in US i.e. $ 20,000 ( yes ..she said that) we are fine !!

So the threshold is > $20,000