Does main sponser have to be employed if they have joint sponsers?

okspider

Registered Users (C)
Does main sponsor have to be employed if they have joint sponsors?

Does the main petitioning sponsor have to be employed if there are two additional joint sponsors when applying for a marriage visa? Do the chances dwindle of being approved if the main sponsor is not employed at the time of application. Any in depth help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. I think the petitioner only has to be domiciled in the US. S/he can use a co-sponsor for income/equity requirements.

Dont Think So

okspider said:
Does the main petitioning sponsor have to be employed if there are two additional joint sponsors when applying for a marriage visa? Do the chances dwindle of being approved if the main sponsor is not employed at the time of application. Any in depth help would be greatly appreciated!
HEY I DONT THINK SO ..AS WE ALL R AMATUER BUT WE STILL KNOW LITTLE SOMETHING HER...WELL ACCORDING TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWELDGE U DONT NEED TO HAVE MAIN PETITNOR SPONSOR EMPLOYED OR HAVING ENOUGH SOURCE OF INCOME .,..MATTER OF FACT IF U HAVE OTHER SPONSOR ,U DONT NEED TO HAVE UR MAIN PETITINIOR TO WORRY ABOUT THAT. IAM 99% SURE..IAM GOING THROUGH SAME STUFF .SO BEST OF LUCK BUDDY WITH UR STUFF

okspider said:
i am not sure, dude.... but in my situation my wife was unemployed at the moment we sent our paperwork. though we have a joint sponsor.
we didn't have an interview yet, but at this point everything goes well...
anyways, she got a job at he beginning of December...
But I'm telling you man on all the papers we have filed she marked as unemployed!

okspider said:
NO! It was never a requirement!
Why do you need 2 joint sponsors?

okspider said:

Hi:

No, the main petitioning sponsor does not need to be employed. Incidentally, why 2 co-sponsors? It will not strengthen your case any more than 1 co-sponsor.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help!! As far as having 2 joint sponsers; in my head it seemed to help make my case more financially stable. But according to you guys it's not needed! Thanks so much!

If the petitioner does not meet the financial guidelines, then you need a sponsor. One will do if their income qualifies and status. You should be "well covered". :p You don't have to go to the extreme. You are safe.

okspider said:
Thanks so much to everyone for your help!! As far as having 2 joint sponsers; in my head it seemed to help make my case more financially stable. But according to you guys it's not needed! Thanks so much!

Hi:

I864 is a binding contract. I am sure one of the joint sponsors would be glad not to be bound by it if it is not necessary.

As long as their is Joint sponsor that is willing to be liable for support of intending immigrant then approval should be ok,

However as Piano player stated the Joint sponsors would be relived to know that they do not neccesarily have to be bound by the contract if not needed.
Only 1 co sponsor is needed!

I had this exact same situation - I lost my job a few weeks before our permanent resident interview - and NOT having a cosponsor on our interview date created a REAL problem for us. The interviewing officer gave us a few days to get a cosponsor, which we did, but she denied us anyway. It took me months and many visits to get after them to correct things.

I'm almost certain you'll be fine with no job and one or 2 cosponsors, especially if you have a history (proof on taxes) that you have earned a certain amount above the poverty line in the past.

I think they'll presume you intend on getting back to work ASAP, and your spouse will be able to work with their green card when they get it.

timmy_d11 said:
I had this exact same situation - I lost my job a few weeks before our permanent resident interview - and NOT having a cosponsor on our interview date created a REAL problem for us. The interviewing officer gave us a few days to get a cosponsor, which we did, but she denied us anyway. It took me months and many visits to get after them to correct things.

I'm almost certain you'll be fine with no job and one or 2 cosponsors, especially if you have a history (proof on taxes) that you have earned a certain amount above the poverty line in the past.

I think they'll presume you intend on getting back to work ASAP, and your spouse will be able to work with their green card when they get it.

well the job I had was really crappy. I worked part time and made nowhere near the poverty line. So if that is a factor then I dunno. But according to everyone else it shouldn't be a problem.