Does internship/co-op while in college count as experience?

acer

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I just freshly graduated from college and I am thinking of applying for PR.
Now, does my internship and co-op while in college count as experience?
I have total of 2 and half years of internship and co-op in internet programming and development, can I put this as experience as it is
related with my degree and my future career??

any of your suggestion would be highly helpful.

Thanks,

No Title

yes
there are many who even used their graduate research as experience and got it.

No it does not - pre-degree experience does not count

No it does not. Read the instructions from Immigration Canada. Co-op and intership experience can only be used if you got the experience after your first (relevant) degree. Therefore, a research or teaching assistent job in grad school can be used but undergraduate experience not. I have already gone through this process - for the rest, Canada immigration is a breeze compared to the US.

No Title

on PART B of application kit, the instruction suggests we "print the details of work history since 18th birthday". to the contrary of what TX said, i dont see anything that says "experience after your first (relevant) degree". If you would, can you please explain this as you have already gone through this process?

thanks,

No Title

internship and co-op while in college count as experience?
  Ans:NO, it is not counted

No Title

From the official government website at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr/guide-ce.html

"....You must have the equivalent of at least one year\'s experience in your occupation to score points in this factor. If you do not, your application will be refused and......The number of points depends on: the number of years you have worked in your intended occupation after completion of formal training....."

You still have to fill in what jobs you have held from age 18 on, but not all of this necessarily counts as experience - immigration just need to get a picture of you and your work history. Experience in a teaching or research assistent position while at grad school typically counts for half time (i.e. 2 years of grad work=1 year experience)

the number of years you have worked in your intended occupation after completion of formal training

No Title

thanks for the info. Is it true that part time computer programming jobs can collectivelty add up to one years of experience?? Please advise. Also, are xerox copies of transcripts enough, or do they need to be attested by officials. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always.

No Title

You can add up the time from P/T work but not your co-op and other experience from your undergrad. If you are having a tough time getting your experience, you may want to do a Masters that comes with a stipend for a research or teaching assistent - by the time you are done, you got the experience that should generally be accepted. You can even do it in Canada (I did), the tuition fees are generally lower there than in the US. I have never used that opportunity but I believe that when you are done with your studies, you can stay for a year to gain work experience. In the mean time you could have a permanent resident application running. However, since I did not use that opportunity, you may want to consult with a lawyer or check the immigration sites on that.

The whole Canada PR process took me 6 weeks from mailing the paperwork to getting the PR visa, no interview or nothing - a breeze compared to the horrendous INS who takes months to even open an envelope.