Does international reference letters help NIW?

chromosome

Registered Users (C)
I talked to a lawyer, and I was told that for NIW, international reference letters do not help. He said all letters should be from US for NIW. (He did say that international letters help EB-1A or EB-1B.)

I am a little skeptical because I have heard a lot about the advantage of submitting international reference letters. Would like to hear more peolpe's opinion on this.

Thanks!

If you can get international reference letters, you should include them as part of your package. However, any reference letter from your own country is not likely to count much (at least that's what I have been told).

Bs :)

My i-140 was approved 1 month ago and on the RFE I had 6 letters and only one was from US (a company). The rest were from UK,Canada,Australia. The thing that matters the most is the tone of the letter. "the top leader in the field", "accomplishments far above those of his pears" bare a far greater importance than the names on the letters. Try somehow to link your research to that of the reviewer: "We have sucesfully used the method described by Dr. ... to ...". On the original package I didn't carefully read the NIW docs and it clearly said national or international recognition. Now you tell me how can you be internationally recognized without international letters :). Spend time on the letters and be careful to word the properly.

Bs ;)

Well as far I understand International Letters convey that people know you not only in US but also in other countries because of your work. I would suggest if your attorney is saying this then change him or her as he or she does not know much about NIW or EB1 :)....The letter that will not make much imapct would be from people of your own institute or home country. The more diverse they are the more impact it will have on the officer reviewing your application. I have heard from some friends of mine that their attorney said that they are not eligible for NIW or EB1 when they have 2 natures paper, one cell , two PNAS and one Science other than JBC or other journals. So long story short make sure you know that your attorney knows what he or she is doing.

Best of Luck

I know it's important for Eb1. But will it for NIW alone?

Thanks,

GC_SEP2005 said:
Well as far I understand International Letters convey that people know you not only in US but also in other countries because of your work. I would suggest if your attorney is saying this then change him or her as he or she does not know much about NIW or EB1 :)....The letter that will not make much imapct would be from people of your own institute or home country. The more diverse they are the more impact it will have on the officer reviewing your application. I have heard from some friends of mine that their attorney said that they are not eligible for NIW or EB1 when they have 2 natures paper, one cell , two PNAS and one Science other than JBC or other journals. So long story short make sure you know that your attorney knows what he or she is doing.

Best of Luck

Is your I-140 for NIW or for Eb1?

dora_75 said:
My i-140 was approved 1 month ago and on the RFE I had 6 letters and only one was from US (a company). The rest were from UK,Canada,Australia. The thing that matters the most is the tone of the letter. "the top leader in the field", "accomplishments far above those of his pears" bare a far greater importance than the names on the letters. Try somehow to link your research to that of the reviewer: "We have sucesfully used the method described by Dr. ... to ...". On the original package I didn't carefully read the NIW docs and it clearly said national or international recognition. Now you tell me how can you be internationally recognized without international letters :). Spend time on the letters and be careful to word the properly.

It will work for both

It will work for both EB1 and NIW. In NIW also you need to show that you are great and researchers from the world knows you by your work.

chromosome said:
I know it's important for Eb1. But will it for NIW alone?

Thanks,

Seems that people here all agree that international letters do help NIW case. But the lawyer I talked to was recommended by some people, and he handled quite some NIW cases. Actually I am thinking about hiring him as my lawyer. That is why I am concerned about this.

Anyone here holds a different opinion?

The point is probably what an international letter good for. There are basically 3 things you need to establish: (i) Your field has national importance; (ii) your accomplishments have national impact; (iii) and your work is better than your US citizen peer.

I do not see how an international letter can help in establishing points (i) and (ii). For point (iii), it surely does (provided it is worded correctly).

NIW versus IIW

Dear Chromosome,

I agree with raysaikat, in that the letters from outside the US may not be suitable for witnessing the national interest, but would surely help to establish that the petitioner is a foreign national with exceptional/outstanding ability. Maybe that is why it is called NIW, not IIW (International Interest Waiver). I would obtain a few international letters to prove that your work has been outstanding. Good luck!

raysaikat said:
The point is probably what an international letter good for. There are basically 3 things you need to establish: (i) Your field has national importance; (ii) your accomplishments have national impact; (iii) and your work is better than your US citizen peer.

I do not see how an international letter can help in establishing points (i) and (ii). For point (iii), it surely does (provided it is worded correctly).

Last edited by a moderator: