• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Does I-555 on my passport work as Green Card in DMV?

DV2008

Registered Users (C)
I admitted to the United States on 10/19, still haven't receive either green card or welcome notice. I went to the Social Security Administration to apply for the SSN the other day, and just got the SSN card two days ago. Because of my drivers license is going to expired shortly, I went to the DMV to update my new residency and renew the license. But the DMV lady wouldn't accept the I-551 on my passport. She said it can't prove my permanent residency because the note on the button of the I-551 ( endorsement service as temporary I-551evidencing permanent residence for 1 year) has clear stated that it's only good for one year. I told her the immigration officer told me that this visa can work as green card before my official green card is arrived. She said that they cannot update my status until the card has arrived. I don't know what else to tell her, so I left.

Does anyone has the same situation as mine? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
read this

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/ident_ver_posterpint.pdf

probably you know already, but as I could understand, you need 6 points so:
1. your pasport with I-555 (4 points) ( because I-551 in your pass. is with expiration date you could not claim 2 additional points)
2. SSN card (1 point)
3. Bank statement or ATM card with your name and signature. (1 point)
then you have 6 points, should be ok.

I've already had the drivers license, but my status was temporary visitor. Therefore, I need to renew my status every few years. I did renew my license several times with no problem (no need to collect the point again as those weren't my first time to apply). My current license is going to expired shortly, so I'd like to renew and update my new residency as soon as possible. But apparently the DMV lady doesn't know what I-551 is. She even asked for my I-94 after I clear states that I am a permanent resident. It's so frustrating. :(

read this

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Licenses/ident_ver_posterpint.pdf

probably you know already, but as I could understand, you need 6 points so:
1. your pasport with I-555 (4 points) ( because I-551 in your pass. is with expiration date you could not claim 2 additional points)
2. SSN card (1 point)
3. Bank statement or ATM card with your name and signature. (1 point)
then you have 6 points, should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already had the drivers license, but my status was temporary visitor. Therefore, I need to renew my status every few years. I did renew my license several times with no problem (no need to collect the point again as those weren't my first time to apply). My current license is going to expired shortly, so I'd like to renew and update my new residency as soon as possible. But apparently the DMV lady doesn't know what I-555 is. She even asked for my I-94 after I clear states that I am a permanent resident. It's so frustrating. :(

Did you ask for a supervisor?