Does green card holder need work permit for business related work in canada?

shankyyy

Registered Users (C)
I have to make a business trip for 3 weeks to my company's facility in Canada. I know I do not need a visa to enter Canada (since I have green card) but do I need a work permit to work there for the time period? FYI- I am a citizen of India and with US green card.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need a work permit to work in Canada. If you are just traveling on business (not being paid by a Canadian entity in Canada), a visa is not required.

If I'm not mistaken you are being sent on assignment and will be paid the same way you always have been. I don't think you need a visa.

I was told that only if I attend meetings, I do not need a visa. But since I may be working in the labs, I was told I would need a work permit. How long does a work permit take? My employer is thinking in a week's time.

I was told that only if I attend meetings, I do not need a visa. But since I may be working in the labs, I was told I would need a work permit. How long does a work permit take? My employer is thinking in a week's time.

You will need a work permit only if you will be paid by a Canadian employer in Canada. It does not look like this is the case for you.