Does Female Applicant Needs Selective Service Registration?

rxonyc

Registered Users (C)
I notice that this item is required on IL
however, I'm female, do I still need to register or do anything?

will have to apply an non-driver ID by Mon, cuz it'll take up to 5 weeks to receive the ID...
hope everything will be on-time

Men only... and somehow I doubt the feminist movement is breaking down their congressional representatives' doors to get that law changed. :rolleyes:

Selective service - men

I entered into USA when i was 24 yrs old thru H1. I do not know any thing about selective service at that time. Now when i apply for the citizenship, the documentation requires some selective service information. Now I am 34 years old. Do I neeed to call that 1-800 number and register myself for selective service before apply for N-400?

Selective Service does not apply to H1 and other non-immigrant visa holders. It only applies to males between the ages 18-26 who are either LPR, USC or here illegally/out of status.

The answer to your question depends on when you got your LPR; if it was prior to your 26th birthday, you need to call the selective service agency and get a status information letter, however since you are now 34, I'm guessing you were 29 when you got your GC, and thus do not need to do anything.

I entered into USA when i was 24 yrs old thru H1. I do not know any thing about selective service at that time. Now when i apply for the citizenship, the documentation requires some selective service information. Now I am 34 years old. Do I neeed to call that 1-800 number and register myself for selective service before apply for N-400?

sankaranr,

Just get a Status Information Letter from Selective Service indicating that you were not required to register.
The process is very straight-forward.

Here's what you have to do:
Write a letter to Selective Service (ATTN:SIL, PO Box 94638 Palatine, IL 60094-4638) requesting a Status Information Letter.
In this letter, you mention that you were a lawful non-immigrant from the time you entered the United States and remained at a lawful non-immigrant status until your 26th birthday (I am assuming that you did not get your green card until after you were 26).

Along with the letter, provide copies of your H1B visas (approval notices) or any other non-immigrant visa you had until age 26.
You also need to fill out the standard form that can be found at this link: http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html
Enclose it with your letter/copies of visas.

That's it!

Selective Service will send you a letter which will state the following:

"Based upon our records and the information you provided you were not required to register with Selective Service..."

Then you are done with it, and don't need to worry about it anymore.

By the way, they were pretty quick replying to me - I got the letter from them less than two weeks after submitting the request.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: