Does employer layoff history affects approval?

swamybale

Registered Users (C)
I think this matter has not been discussed. Many big companies laid off people during the hard times and it has affected labor and 1-140s for many people. Whoever passed this stage and applied for I-485 should have no problem, but I don't think so. I believe many petition approvals might have been delayed because of this fact also. CSC might delay your petition if you work for one those big companies with layoff history.

thanks
Swamy

swamybale said:
I think this matter has not been discussed. Many big companies laid off people during the hard times and it has affected labor and 1-140s for many people. Whoever passed this stage and applied for I-485 should have no problem, but I don't think so. I believe many petition approvals might have been delayed because of this fact also. CSC might delay your petition if you work for one those big companies with layoff history.

If you are talking about I-485 approvals, the worst that could happen would be an RFE to make sure you still had a job. The recent memo to USCIS regarding RFEs says they should be issued where the adjudicating officer knows that a company has had a lot of layoffs, etc. So, the only delay would be one of issuing and responding to the RFE.

swamybale said:
I believe many petition approvals might have been delayed because of this fact also. CSC might delay your petition if you work for one those big companies with layoff history.
No one can stop you from believing what ever it is that you wish to believe. But if personal experience is anything to go by, I know tons of people (including myself) who have received their approvals despite belonging to companies that have had massive layoffs, with no extranaous time as compared to the norm.

if this was true then we would all be denied.... only if one files labour cert then it makes a difference if the company is laying off...

i know many ppl whose labour got rejected coz of layoffs....

swamybale said:

thanks
Swamy

layoffs do not matter at 485 stage. if the company is in news for very massive layoffs or any other BIG financial problems (like Enron !!!) then USCIS or CSC may take a stand for sending RFEs but other than that i don't think this is a cause for delays.

FunnyWait said:
layoffs do not matter at 485 stage. if the company is in news for very massive layoffs or any other BIG financial problems (like Enron !!!) then USCIS or CSC may take a stand for sending RFEs but other than that i don't think this is a cause for delays.

I agree. It matters only for I-140. I-485 is AOS and its by you not by the company. As long as you can show that you have job when you get an RFE you are good.