Documents to send for Name change at DC consulate

csch1wait

Registered Users (C)
I had changed my last name as part of my Naturalization process - based on marriage. Now I want to apply for OCI.

I do not want to send the court order because the first name is spelled different on there based on birth certificate, since that will only cause more confustion. I have seen lot of people who have name change based on marriage and did not get court order, so I think I am ok not sending the court order. However could not find a comprehensive list as to what the DC consulate will accept to prove the name change. I have also emailed the consulate 10 days ago and no response yet. Please advise.

csh1wait,
Usually you don’t get court order for last name change due to marriage; I believe you received it due to your first name change. Check your US passport for the “first name”, if that is different than the one in the Indian passport you still will be caught(I mean application will be returned) as they specifically check the first and the last name, but if you produce your marriage certificate along with your husband’s passport details the last name will not create any issue but for the first name it has to be supported with valid evidence.
Indian passport are usually given exactly matching to the birth certificate but in your case it looks different. But in either ways you need to decide which first name you want to go with. As the rules have eased for producing documents for the name change, I will advise you to send the court order with your US passport copy along with the OCI application. If you want to keep the first name as it is on the Indian passport then you need to change the court order by going to nearby superior court of your state and then change the name in the US passport and then apply for OCI

Thank you for detail explanation. however my first name is same in my Indian passport and US passport. Only the last names are different, so I think only the marriage certification and my husband's passport should suffice. Should I send copies of my husband's indian passport or US passport?

however my first name is same in my Indian passport and US passport.

[/This contradicted with your earlier post " do not want to send the court order because the first name is spelled different on there based on birth certificate, since that will only cause more confustion"

Only the last names are different, so I think only the marriage certification and my husband's passport should suffice. Should I send copies of my husband's indian passport or US passport?

If you are applying along with your husband then a copy of marriage certificate along with all the required docs for OCI is enough.