Documents for I-485

dgrajan

Registered Users (C)
Dear All,

I had few questions about the supporting documents for my I-485. I would greatly appreciate your valued inputs/ideas.

1. In the instructions for I-485, there is no request for documents pertaining to federal tax teturns. Should we still submit the past three years returns?

2. In case the birth certificate does not have the name, can we provide another secondary evidence like SSLC certificate with name and DOB on it?

3. And, where in the US Visa can we get the number for "Nonimmigrant Visa Number"? There are many numbers on the visa.....

4. Finally, should we also include membership in professional/scientific associations in Part 3 (item C) i.e. the "processing information" category of I-485?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind help.

Dear All,

I had few questions about the supporting documents for my I-485. I would greatly appreciate your valued inputs/ideas.

1. In the instructions for I-485, there is no request for documents pertaining to federal tax teturns. Should we still submit the past three years returns?

2. In case the birth certificate does not have the name, can we provide another secondary evidence like SSLC certificate with name and DOB on it?

3. And, where in the US Visa can we get the number for "Nonimmigrant Visa Number"? There are many numbers on the visa.....

4. Finally, should we also include membership in professional/scientific associations in Part 3 (item C) i.e. the "processing information" category of I-485?

1.YES!

2. NO IDEA

3.The Numbers in RED COLOR!

4. YES

Dear All,

1. In the instructions for I-485, there is no request for documents pertaining to federal tax teturns. Should we still submit the past three years returns? NO NEED AT ALL. UNLESS THEY GIVE YOU AN RFE LATER AND ASK SPECIFICALLY FOR THEM. OTHER THAN A VERY FEW PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE BEING ASKED FOR THIS. CERTAINLY DONT SUBMIT ANY IRRELAVENT INFROMATION OR DOCUMENTTAION ALONG WITH YOUR I-485, YOU WILL DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD TO YOUR CASE.

2. In case the birth certificate does not have the name, can we provide another secondary evidence like SSLC certificate with name and DOB on it? I AM FIRST TIME HEARING A BIRTH CERTIFICATE NO HAVING NAME. DONT GET OFFENDED BY THIS, BUT WHAT IS THE USE OF A BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITHOUT A PERSON IDENTITY ON IT. ANYWAY EVEN IF YOU HAVE ONE, I WOULD SUGGEST THAT IF IN SOME WAY YOU CAN WRITE THE NAME AT APPROPRIATE PLACE AND THEN GET ITS COPY NOTRIZED IT SHOULD WORK. BUT TO KEEP YOU AWAY FROM TROUBLE BETTER GET A BIRTH CERTIFICTAE FROM INDIA, WHEREVER YOU LIVE IN INDIA. SEE TO TELL YOU I HAD HOSPITAL BASED BIRTH CERTIFICATE BUT AT THE TIME OF APPLYING I ASKED MY FOLKS TO GET A PROPER MUNICIPLE CERTIFICATE SO THAT I DONT LAND IN TROUBLE. US IMMIGRATION SYSTEM IS QUITE COMPLICATE AND TOTALLY OPAQUE SO IT IS BETTER GIVE THEM BEST DOCUMENTS IN FIRST ATTEMPT SO THAT YOU DONT GET RFES ETC WHICH DELAY YOUR CASE. IF YOU HAVE TIME I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TO GET A PROPER CERIFICTAE FROM INDIA, WHATVERE AGENCY IS ENTITLED TO ISSUE IT THERE. IF IT IS ISSUED IN SOME OTHER LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ENGLISH THEN YOU CAN TRANSLATE IT AND ATTH ORIGINAL ALONG WITH TRANSLATED COPY, CERTIFY IT TRANSLATION AND GET IT NOTARIZED. THE WAY I DID IS I COLOR SCANNED MY WIFES DOB CERTIFICATE AND THEN ADDED ENGLISH TRANSLATION AT APPROPRIATE PLACES USING PAGEMAKER ETC AND THEN AT THE BOTTOM CERTIFIED IT MYSLEF BY SIGNING AND SYAING THAT I HAVE FULL KNOWLEDGE OF HINDIA ND ENLGISH AND WROTE MY SSN THERE SO THAT THEY BELIEVE THAT I AM NOT DOING ANY FRAUD. WORKED. ALSO THER IS ANOTHER WAY GET AN ENLISH CERTIFICATE ISSUED FROM INDIAN EMBASSY IN WASH DC. I THINK IT USED TO CST $8 AND SOME HASSEL BUT IS MUCH BETTER TO HAVE ONE AS YOU MAY NEED IT LATER DUING YOUR STAY IN USA, OR TILL YOU GET YOUR CITIZENSHIP ETC. JUST MY SINCERE ADVICE TO MY FELLOW INDIAN, THATS ALL.

IT IS ON FACE OF TH VISA, TOP RIGHT I BELIEVE
4. Finally, should we also include membership in professional/scientific associations in Part 3 (item C) i.e. the "processing information" category of I-485? NO DONT CONFUSE THAT WITH YOUR PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS. IT IS DIFFERENT AND MEAN POLITICAL OR OTHER ACTIVIST GROUP MEMBERSHIP. BETTER LEAVE IT BLANK UNLESS YOU BELONG TO "LTTE" SRILANKA OR "JARKHANDI" FORM UP ETC (JUS KIDDING, PL DONT MIND). THEY DONT WANT TROUBLE MAKERS SO WANT YOU TO DISCLOSE YOUR POLITICAL OR GROUP ASSOCIATION. I BELIEVE YOU ARE A PEACE LOVING PERSON LIKE ALL OF US AND DONT HAVE ANY SUCH ASSOCIATIONS, SO NO PROBLEM FOR YOU. REPLY NO TO IT AND WRITE N/A THERE.

LASTLY I AM VERY POOR IN TYPING FROM MY NOTEBOOK KEYBOARD AND LAZY ENOUGH TO DO SPELL CHECK, SO PL IGNORE MY TYPOS AND TRY TO GET THE GIST OF MY ADVICE. LASTLY IT IS JUST A FRIEDLY ADVICE NOT A LEAGAL ONE SO DO USE YOUR DD.

Thank you very much Mogambo1 and Flyingtiger11 for your kind suggestions.

Mogam, Thanks for the detailed suggestions and analysis. Yeah, I do agree with you about the limited (or rather none at all) use of a birth certificate without the name. But, in many parts of India, people do not name the baby while it is born. Even if they name, I think in Tamil Nadu and also in Kerala, the birth certificate does not have the name of the baby. Just the DOB, Sex, Parents name, Place of birth. But, such a certificate is accepted in India. My wife's birth certificate from Kerala does not also have her name on it.... it is weird. This just to tell that some BCs are given without names...

Thank you once again for your kind suggestions.

Please see the following statement from immiinfo.

Most adjustment of status applicants must be able to demonstrate that they will not become a public charge. Evidence to this effect may include, but not limited to
• Form I-864, Affidavit of support
• W-2 forms
• Bank statements
• letters of employment

http://www.imminfo.com/resources/cis-sop-aos/7-3-11.html

Affidavit of support is not generally needed for employment based petitions. But you can add just one year of your tax returns and current letter of employment along with the I-864 for your spouse 485.

The birth certificate should do fine, but you need to get an affidavit from your parents about the name.

Affidavit of support is not generally needed for employment based petitions. But you can add just one year of your tax returns and current letter of employment along with the I-864 for your spouse 485.

The birth certificate should do fine, but you need to get an affidavit from your parents about the name.

If my wife has her own employment (she has a graduate assistantship), should I still submit a I-864 affidavit of support for her?

Do we send the I-485 application to the Service Center that approved our I-140. For my case, should I send it to TSC? or send to NSC, which will later transfer.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

If my wife has her own employment (she has a graduate assistantship), should I still submit a I-864 affidavit of support for her?

Do we send the I-485 application to the Service Center that approved our I-140. For my case, should I send it to TSC? or send to NSC, which will later transfer.

Hi dgrajan,

If your wife has a job, you do not need a I-864 for her, but please also include an employment verification letter with salary level for her and her w-2 forms and tax returns. you may also include your recent bank statements.

In the I-485 instructions, it suggests all EB I-485 should send to NSC, but some folks here just sent the applications directly to TSC and they took it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I sent it to NSC, as per the instructions,
on March 5th and it was in TSC on 9th. Another member (I think Reza) had a similar experience.

I-864 is when you are sponsoring somebody from your country. For your spouse you need to do I-134.

birth certificate

My understanding about this birth certificate issues:
(a) The birth certificate should have "all" the details and should be issued by the local government, like what you get in US. (b) If some info is missing, then two affidavits from relatives who know about your birth should be included in addition to the original BC
(c) If no birth certificate is available, then a "non-availability" certificate from government and two affidavits should be provided.

Hope that helps!

FYI: I did submit a birth certificate w/o the name of the person, but only the mother's name. And I incl. two affidavits. Hopefully they are OK :confused: