Documents, do you dispose them now?

NoJob

Registered Users (C)
What are your thoughts ...

Those who've now become the US Citizens, what would you do with all those photocopies of documents that you've submitted to the INS during your entire Green Card process, including H1-B's and TN's request submissions?

I now have a stack of 3 inches high of all the photocopies of the documents that I've ever submitted to the INS for whatever reason. Here are my two thoughts:

(1) Scan each one of them and store documents as PDF files, and shred the papers as most likely you'll never need them.
(2) Keep them for as long as you possibly can.

or of course, just shred them and say goodbye.

save them...

...for your children to see what pains you went thru to get them a decent life.

I got rid of all the "proof" and "evidence" documents but kept the really important ones. I kept the following:-

(1) I-129F approval notice from VSC
(2) K-1 visa issued by the US consulate in Montreal (stamped on my expired Canadian passport)
(3) AOS approval notice from Boston DO
(4) Receipt of creation of PR record
(5) Letter in which 2 year GC arrived
(6) Scanned colour image of 2 year GC
(7) I-751 approval notice from NSC
(8) Letter in which 10 year GC arrived
(9) Scanned colour image of 10 year GC
(10) Naturalisation certificate

Bindable book???

Well, just because not all pages are the same size, some smaller than standard, some legal, etc.

The stack I have, contains each and every copy (sometime same stuff, but sent at different times due to different form submission etc.) that was sent to the INS. This stack basically contains same material that the INS have in their folder, mind you they may have more re: security background checks etc.

So far, I have the scanned images of - 10 year GC, Nat. Certificate, Passport.

It is hard to part with this stack. It gives me a sense of security in such a way that I know what INS have, that I've given it to them, including my resumes, etc. This stack does not contain, but I do have the filled out PDF file of N-400 application.

My wife said, why don't you put it all away in the crawl space and slowly think what you want to do with it, but do throw all the junk I have (my school books, old software, etc.,) from the crawl space.

I would keep the dosc at least for a couple of years as INS can revoke US citizenship. I think the first 2 years it is relatively easy and then it gets harder. I have not heard recently that INS is going on a rampage revoking thousands of citizenships but you never know. If a terrorist attack happens - then you do not know how it will affect you. In the past when INS was on a rampage a software design engineer from Microsoft almost had her citizenship revoked because of putting wrong address on N-400 - a minor and petty mistake.

Plus - if you loose your natz certificate and passport - then the only thing you have going for you is "your accent". And I am not sure if US embassy will ask you to apply for a visitor visa since your US citizenship is shaky.

----
I am not a lawyer and this is not reliable advice. Use it at your own risk.

I would keep the dosc at least for a couple of years as INS can revoke US citizenship. I think the first 2 years it is relatively easy and then it gets harder. I have not heard recently that INS is going on a rampage revoking thousands of citizenships but you never know. If a terrorist attack happens - then you do not know how it will affect you. In the past when INS was on a rampage a software design engineer from Microsoft almost had her citizenship revoked because of putting wrong address on N-400 - a minor and petty mistake.

Plus - if you loose your natz certificate and passport - then the only thing you have going for you is "your accent". And I am not sure if US embassy will ask you to apply for a visitor visa since your US citizenship is shaky.

----
I am not a lawyer and this is not reliable advice. Use it at your own risk.

Paranoid much??

Even if the USCIS wants to go on a rampage, they can't. The only possible way citizenship can be revoked is if the USCIS can prove in federal court that you lied on your citizenship application and the information that you lied about would have negatively affected your citizenship application. Essentially, they have to prove that they would not have granted your citizenship app. had they known the truth. The burden of proof is on the USCIS to prove by clear and convincing evidence that you perjured yourself during the immigration process.

As far as losing both your naturalization certificate and passport: no biggie. This happened to my sister. She kept them both together and lost them together.

The state department maintains records of all passports issued. They can look up previously issued US passports and will issue you a new one based on that evidence of citizenship. You certainly won't be forced to get a visa (in fact that's impossible if you're a US citizen).

What should you do with your documents? Doesn't take that much room. Just keep them. Anytime you feel like you've had it easy in life, you can go take a look.