Documents and 6 months stay outside USA

sudha1999

Registered Users (C)
My wife stayed for 6 months outside USA. She needs to submit the following documents with N-400 form.
(i) Tax transcripts of last 5 years
(ii) Rental payments and paystubs.
(iii) Written explanation for six month stay outside USA.

I did not stay outside USA for 6 months but only 3 months. Do I need to submit above documents though I stayed for only 3 months?

Thanks for your suggestions.

My wife stayed for 6 months outside USA. She needs to submit the following documents with N-400 form.
(i) Tax transcripts of last 5 years
(ii) Rental payments and paystubs.
(iii) Written explanation for six month stay outside USA.

I did not stay outside USA for 6 months but only 3 months. Do I need to submit above documents though I stayed for only 3 months?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Most likely no. 6 months is a break in the continuous residency requirement not three months, you should be fine.

Transcripts of Tax Returns

FriscoDude, Thanks for your suggestions. I like to know if you have any experience in obtaining Transcripts of Tax Return from IRS.
What is the usual timeline. We just ordered free transcripts from IRS. We can ONLY obtain 4 year transcripts per request from IRS. Infact, We need to submit 5 year tax transcripts, can we submit copies of 1040 and W2 for the remaining year in lieu of transcript.

FriscoDude, Thanks for your suggestions. I like to know if you have any experience in obtaining Transcripts of Tax Return from IRS.
What is the usual timeline. We just ordered free transcripts from IRS. We can ONLY obtain 4 year transcripts per request from IRS. Infact, We need to submit 5 year tax transcripts, can we submit copies of 1040 and W2 for the remaining year in lieu of transcript.

I got my tax transcripts within 10/12 days of requesting them, it's pretty fast. I am not sure about your second question. Someone else can chime in.
In my case, I am going to bring the last four years as I didn't work immediately when I first moved to the US.

Interview

I received yellow letter too. However during the interview the IO do not look at the evidence that i bring.

Hi Sudha1999,

My case is also like yours. My wife stayed outside of US for more than 6 months twice in last 5 years( to complete her studies). But I filed joined taxes for last 5 years. I thought I am eligible and she is NOT bcos she stayed more than 6 months outside US. Are you sure, wife is eligible to file N400 with proof of tax return alone.

Thanks in advance!

Your wife needs to provide the following documents (you may find the information in the naturalization guide) to prove that she did not abondon the permanent residency by staying outside US for more than 6 months:

1. Tax transcripts of the last 5 years
2. Rental or mortage payments
3. Paystubs (if she worked)
4. Statment of explanation (reason) for staying outside USA for more than 6 months

If you have not stayed outside US more than 6 months, you need not to submit above documents with your N400 application.

Your wife needs to provide the following documents (you may find the information in the naturalization guide) to prove that she did not abondon the permanent residency by staying outside US for more than 6 months:

1. Tax transcripts of the last 5 years
2. Rental or mortage payments
3. Paystubs (if she worked)
4. Statment of explanation (reason) for staying outside USA for more than 6 months

If you have not stayed outside US more than 6 months, you need not to submit above documents with your N400 application.

thanks for the info!

They send you detailed transcripts for the last 4 years. You can also order summary printout for the 5th year. Just ask them for 5 years, when they tell you they only have 4, ask them what they can give you for the 5th year. They will tell you the exact name of that summary transcript.

You can order 4 years Tax Transcripts (line by line) and then one Account transcript (Summary).

We already ordered tax transcripts for 4 years, can we use filed tax returns (Federal) and W2 copy in place of account summary for one year. If we order now it may take longer. We have not received the transcripts yet it is already over 10 days since we ordered.

We already ordered tax transcripts for 4 years, can we use filed tax returns (Federal) and W2 copy in place of account summary for one year. If we order now it may take longer. We have not received the transcripts yet it is already over 10 days since we ordered.

You can walk in to any IRS service center and get these with in minutes.

Use this Location Search to get the address close to your place.

For your another question the answer depends on the IO.