Docs required to apply for I-140

Read the instructions carefully and follow.
You will require the original labor certification, copies of your educational certificates and work experience supporting the labor certification, credentials evaluation if not from a US university and employer's letter petitioning for the IV.

Docs Required for I140

As per my understanding, we need copies of any reference letters, experience letters, I-94 and educational certificates and the latest resume.

Do these need to be attested or certified copies?. Are the original certificates required to be produced at any time of the process? Do these need to be submitted? How do they verify that what I am sending them is correct?

Thanks

Yes, a resume summarizing your education and work experience is of great help. Education and technical profeciency certificates as well work experience certificates directly bearing on the labor certification approval is necessary; I-94 is not but the number in the I-94 card has to be filled in at the appropriate place.
You send photocopies and the attorney filing the application affirms that they are true copies. The INS may ask for certified copies (or originals in case they interview you--in rare cases) if they are in doubt!