Docs Needed for CP Based on NIW Self Petition

Faith03

Registered Users (C)
Could someone tell me if I need to take any financial support documents to the CP interview. My case is NIW with self petitioning.

The Packet 3.5 that the embassy sent says that the Financial Support form (I forget the form name) is required for employment based cases only if the person is sponsored by a relative who owns the company. Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Faith03,

Let me say this first I donot have complete information on NIW cases. But I can try shedding some light on the I-134 ( financial support doc ). Basically this document is satisfying the State Dept. that the immigrating person will not be a burdon on the state ( financially ). That is why for employement based and family based they are required.

May be you can ask the consulate and discuss with them.

Faith03

Faith03

Are You a physician (previously J1) working in underserved area? I am one of them and have my NIW approved. Just curious and needed some information regarding CP.

Thankx.

Originally posted by Faith03
Could someone tell me if I need to take any financial support documents to the CP interview. My case is NIW with self petitioning.

The Packet 3.5 that the embassy sent says that the Financial Support form (I forget the form name) is required for employment based cases only if the person is sponsored by a relative who owns the company. Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Faith - since you are in the same boat as me, let me give my opinion on this issue:

With regard to financial support documents - I do think that it is advisable to take a letter from current employer confirming that you are employed and stating your salary. Make sure that the letter is notarized. While this is not a specific requirement for NIW since a job offer is not required (i.e. you are petitioning on the basis of your skills and not employment), I have still been advised to carry this letter to confirm employment. Apart from this letter, I do not think there is any need to carry additional financial documentation such as bank statements etc. - although there is no harm in taking these if you have them.

Secondly, with regard to the the financial support forms. There are two forms: I-134 and I-864. The I-864 form is needed if you are a family based immigrant being sponsored by a family member OR if your employer/potential employer is partially owned (atleast 5%) by a family member. Neither of this will probably apply to yours/or my case. The I-134 is needed if your immigrant petition includes a dependent (spouse, child etc) who will be depending on you for financial support. If this is the case, you must fill out a form I-134 for each dependent on your application(which is included in the packet 3.5 you must have received from the consulate).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks

Thanks Txcp and Zaye. Your input is VERY helpful!!!

Damsel'ndistres, sorry I am not a physician. I went from F-1 to H-1. I never had the J visa.