Do you have to send your Indian Passport for cancellation?

takshila1

Registered Users (C)
While I did send and received my cancelled Indian Passport (from the NYCGI)with my OCI, I want to know if it is necessary to send it at all?

I had mailed it with my OCI application along with a self addressed, pre-paid envelope. I had included the $20.00 for my US Passport and OCI too.

I will be applying for an OCI for my wife and am hesitant to send her Indian passport as I hear that in some cases applicants haven't received theirs.

While I did send and received my cancelled Indian Passport (from the NYCGI)with my OCI, I want to know if it is necessary to send it at all?

I had mailed it with my OCI application along with a self addressed, pre-paid envelope. I had included the $20.00 for my US Passport and OCI too.

I will be applying for an OCI for my wife and am hesitant to send her Indian passport as I hear that in some cases applicants haven't received theirs.

I don't know what the official GOI line on this is, but I never had my last Indian passport canceled (in fact I couldn't locate it when I was applying for OCI, so I used my previous-to-last passport as proof of my Indian origin). Have traveled to India many times with my US passport and never had any problems.

takshila1,

Is this "fear of not getting back the Indian passport" related specifically to New York?
Since I think for example San Francisco consulate sends back(based on what I read here)...

Also - is there a problem if you dont get it back? Anyways it is cancelled, and is a mere artifact - no real use. So, is there some reason why ur worried abt that you may need the Indian PP in future?, or you just want to continue to have a "memorabilia" artifact?

Takshila1,

No need to send the passport in during the initial OCI appln. The only case that was reported not to have Indian passport returned had sent in the Indian passport along with the Initial application. Once your wife's OCI gets approved online, only then does it make sense to send the Indian passport...

Since this forum belongs to the main thread "Life after Citizenship" and since it has been such a success so far in helping us through the process...why not start a "post-OCI" discussion where folks can chip in with stories and ideas of how they are getting "empowered" after acquiring US citizenship....

How new avenues are opening up in terms of better educational opportunities ( through broader availability of govt loans), broader employment opportunities ( through better security credentials), better participation in the Democratic process...etc... There are many of us who have started to enjoy the fruits of Citizenship in an active way, while there might be others who are waiting to be inspired by their example...

IMHO

Thank you All for your responses.

As crosshairs mentioned I only need it for old times sakes. Also am worried that it might end up in the wrong hands (if lost) who could misuse it.