Do we need to list trips < 24 hrs?

new_LPR

Registered Users (C)
Part A and B of the qsn asks you to list the # of days you were out of the country and the # of trips taken EACH FOR TRIPS LASTING 24 HRS OR MORE.
However part C asks you to list ALL the trips taken outside.

I turned in an application but did not mention less than a day trips to Mexico and Canada.
Of course I mentioned all trips greater than 24 hrs.
Is there a problem?

Qsns-
- people living in border areas like San Diego take day trips to Mexico quite frequently . Are they supposed to mention EACH and EVERY trip? I am guessing if they did that, they may have to mention 100+ trips that have no bearing on the # of days person was outside.

- Its very difficult to keep track of those trips. For air trips, you get your passport stamped. But clearly when you cross land border, your GC gets scanned.

- Do IO have access to CBP data? I guess CBP has records of EVERY time GC was scanned (?)

- What do I do now, since I did not mention those day trips? Do have I to hunt around and give one page full of extra trips to IO? He will get freaked out????

What do I do now, since I did not mention those day trips?

Don't worry about day trips.

You can completely over-analyze some of the requirements and get yourself into a frothy mess. Every once in a while, step back and take a deep breath... :) If the first part of the question says list trips of more than 24 hours, then it is reasonable to expect the assumption continues to subsequent parts.

Part A and B of the qsn asks you to list the # of days you were out of the country and the # of trips taken EACH FOR TRIPS LASTING 24 HRS OR MORE.
However part C asks you to list ALL the trips taken outside.
No, it does not. It says to list trips of 24 hours or more.

The exact wording of the question in part 7, section C is "List below all the trips of 24 hours or more that you have taken outside of the United States since becoming a lawful permanent resident. Begin with your most recent trip. If you need more space, use a separate sheet of paper."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
I did check the N400 form pdf and it does mention to list all trips that are only >24hrs.

However the N400 instructions pdf does not mention anything about 24 hrs in part C. It tells you to mention all trips taken after becoming PR.

This is yet another set of discrepancy that is bound to confuse the applicant. some day I am going to give feedback to USCIS on making the steps clearer.

But I have one issue.

In one of those day trips to Mexico, I was sent to secondary inspection just based on my Indian passport ( with LPR stamp in it). They did a long background check on me - including taking fingerprints of all 10 fingers.

I have discussed this in another thread.

I am somewhat worried on what this really means. They did not tell me I was detained - so I have not put it in my application.
But they have my fingerprints in their system, so when I go for FP , there will be a match for those.

I will have to volunteer to mention this to IO and tell him/her that I was pulled for 2ndary inspection and my fingerprints were taken...

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what I should do???

Thanks.
I did check the N400 form pdf and it does mention to list all trips that are only >24hrs.

However the N400 instructions pdf does not mention anything about 24 hrs in part C. It tells you to mention all trips taken after becoming PR.

This is yet another set of discrepancy that is bound to confuse the applicant. some day I am going to give feedback to USCIS on making the steps clearer.

But I have one issue.

In one of those day trips to Mexico, I was sent to secondary inspection just based on my Indian passport ( with LPR stamp in it). They did a long background check on me - including taking fingerprints of all 10 fingers.

I have discussed this in another thread.

I am somewhat worried on what this really means. They did not tell me I was detained - so I have not put it in my application.
But they have my fingerprints in their system, so when I go for FP , there will be a match for those.

I will have to volunteer to mention this to IO and tell him/her that I was pulled for 2ndary inspection and my fingerprints were taken...

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what I should do???

As we discussed in your separate post, secondary inspection at a POE is not a big deal and in your case, it is likely not the same thing as "detention" on suspicion of actively conducting or conspiring to conduct criminal activity.

They have your fingerprints from your LPR application, so I am not sure why you think that is a big deal. The point of fingerprint checks is to run them through the FBI fingerprint database to see if you have ever come up in an arrest or criminal conviction.

USCIS has your fingerpints, CBP has your fingerprints and these are all legitimate agencies to have your fingerprints. If you show up in the FBI database it will be because you were arrested and booked by some local, state, or federal authority on suspicion of having conducted some criminal activity. Your USCIS and CBP fingerprints for POE processing won't come up in that type of check as being for suspected criminal activity.