Do we need the Original 485 Receipt to travel ??

priya_s

Registered Users (C)
Please advice on this matter.

I hope there is someone out there with similar issues and can help us.

We have filed our 485 and have received AP. If we want to travel outside
USA is it enough to carry the original AP and a copy of the 485 receipt notice ?. If we are supposed to carry the original 485 receipt notice, will the lawyer agree to part with giving me the original ?. Thanks.

One more advice please. My spouse\'s H1 will expire in 2 months. Do you think there are any adverse effects in applying for an extension ?. I am asking this as i have heard that filing for a H1 or an extension while 485 in process may generate an RFE for the 485 ?. My spouse is the benificiary of my 485. Should he just go ahead and use the EAD or can he safely apply for an extension w/o any comlications later ?.

Thanks...

Not sure about extension matter but ..

There is an INS regulation that you need to keep your I-485 receipt original with you while travelling. But practically its not needed rather sometimes it confuses the immigration officer when give him your H1 peittion and 485/AP. I would suggest you to travel on H1 not on your AP (if you are not using your EAD). Keep your original receipts with you so that in case they ask for, you can reproduce.

I am not sure about if you file for H1 extension, you may get 485 RFE?? There is another new INS regulation that you can travel on your H1 when you have filed your 485. Myself not sure about RFE thing..plz keep us updated about this matter

I just cae back from Delhi

I had my EAD,AP and had another ext for my H-1 . I got my visa stamped when I was in India and came back on H-1 as I have 3 more years left , also I am not useing EAD a of now