Do we have to CANCEL Canadian GC after US Green Card?

sairam4599

Registered Users (C)
Do we have to CANCEL Canadian GC after US Green Card?

My husband and myself were approved for Candain green cards in 2002 while we are in US and we landed last year and came back to US.

After getting the US Green cards do we have to cancel Canadian green card? Can someone post the the procedure to cancel Canadian green card?

Thanks in advance.

You don't 'HAVE TO'. There's no law saying that. The thing is it will be very hard for you to maintain both residency.

Will it be a problem if we have both US and Canadian Green cards? We want to keep only US green card.

Please post your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Not unless you call up USCIS and tell them that you have two permanent residency at two countries or show your Canadian maple leaf card to the USCIS agent along with your GC.

That would not be very wise, right?

If you plan to keep your GC, most likely you will lose your Canadian residency because the time requirement to maintain your residency in both countries.

If you like, you can write up a letter, denouce your Canadian residency and send copies to all government agencies in both US and Canada. You can also make a public annoucement of your letter on TV and newspaper in both countries.

If that makes you happy.

If you are really afraid, just put your Canadian residency into a bank safe deposit box or through a cross-cut shredder.

Carry a letter with you saying you love to live in this country and denouce any other residency that may be applied to you with or without your knowledge. :)

The problem is 'intent'. If you travel back to US and are caught with an intent not to live in US, they will revoke your GC at the border.

So as you plan to keep your GC, not the Canadian PR, just do not travel in 190 days. That way your Canadian PR will automatically become voided and you will never be caught with a wrong intent.

Of course, i am no lawyer and you take my advice at your own risk. I am not familiar with the new Canadian immigration law, so the 190 days may not be 100% accurate either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's fine to keep both. Your Canadian PR maybe in trouble since you have obtained the US PR now. There is no need to publicly annonce you are giving up your Canadian PR.
If you have no intent to keep your maple leaf card, simply write a letter to CIC or just don't do anything at all.
Your US PR or future citizenship is not jepredized because your CAN PR is granted before your US PR.

chinabee said:
The problem is 'intent'. If you travel back to US and are caught with an intent not to live in US, they will revoke your GC at the border.
Do you have any actual links to such cases? I am currently researching similar problem.

Thanks