Do US greed card holders need to apply for a visa to visit Canada

tiger100

Registered Users (C)
If you have a green card do you need a Canadian visa to visit there? if required can you get it at the immigrations at the border or will you have have to appear/mail your application to the Canadian counsulate?

Any experiences?

Was not required

For GC holders, it was not required to have a visa to visit Canada and for Canadian citizens, it was not required to have US visa to enter US. However, post Sept 11, the scenario has changed one-way. For born Canadian citizens it is still the same, but for Canadian citizens of other origin, they need to get a visa to enter US.

Based on this change in rules by US, I am not sure whether Canadian govt has changed its rules for US GC holders.

It may also differ by mode of travel.

Sorry for providing you incomplete information.

Bob

Are you sure the rules are different ....

.... based on country of birth? I thought the differentiation was between citizens of any type and permenant residents (Canadian GC holders).

For born Canadian citizens it is still the same, but for Canadian citizens of other origin, they need to get a visa to enter US.

- Canadian citizens, regardless of country of origin/birth DO NOT need a visa to visit the US (even after 9/11 they DON'T). The only recent change is that now all Canadian permanent residents will now need visas to visit US.

- US Green Card holders DO NOT need visa to enter Canada. At least Indians don't. Please check the requirements for your respective countries.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
laddi

The best way to know is to call any airline that flies to Canada. They will be able to answer your question. Most probably you don't need a visa.

Hey Tiger100...don't even think of going to canada right now...
SARS is every where in canada. Even you have citizenship, you will be stuck there.

Originally posted by nbk10081
Hey Tiger100...don't even think of going to canada right now...
SARS is every where in canada. Even you have citizenship, you will be stuck there.

Nice try.... but SARS is not everywhere. I'm going to Toronto soon, and they will let me back into the US.

Only "conditional green card" requries visa to enter canada. (spousal based or marriage based green card are conditional for two years)

Rest dont need any visa to enter canada. if you are driving, canadian officials sometimes dont even see your GC to enter.

you just say i'm US resident while holding your GC in your hand, they will let you in.

for more information, call Canadian consulate in US.

Re: Are you sure the rules are different ....

Originally posted by when?
.... based on country of birth? I thought the differentiation was between citizens of any type and permenant residents (Canadian GC holders).

I think by that he means naturalized citizens who were previously citizens of another country.

I Stand Corrected.

I just now browsed the Canadian immigration site and the following is the link, which says

"persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence" do not require a travel visa to enter Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

This page also provides info for people of other status from different countries about the required documents to enter Canada.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Somemore info

Post Sept 11, the Canadian GC holders, need a visitor-visa to enter US. However, there is no visa requirement for Canadian citizens (of any origin).

"Beginning on March 17, 2003, persons with landed immigration status in Canada must obtain a non-immigrant visa in order to enter the United States. Such persons must also have a valid passport from their country of citizenship.

However, this regulatory change will not affect persons with landed immigration status in Canada who are citizens of countries that have a visa waiver agreement with the United States. A visa waiver agreement provides for reciprocal visa-free entry into each other's territories. Information on these visa waiver agreements can be found at www.amcits.com/waiver.asp or www.travel.state.gov/vwp.html.

The United States has visa waiver agreements with the following countries: Andorra, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom (including its colonies, territories, and dependencies). Persons who are landed immigrants in Canada and citizens of these countries are not required to obtain a visa prior to entry into the United States if they are travelling for business or tourism and their stay will be less than 90 days. Persons with landed immigration status in Canada who are citizens of countries other than those listed above must obtain a visa from the American authorities before entering the United States.

Persons who have landed immigration status in Canada and who travel using either a British National Overseas Passport or a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport will require visas in order to enter the United States. "

Source: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=308000

Bob

canadian GC holders and us entry

Even before the new rules not all Canadian landed immigrants had free (visa less) entry, it was restricted to Canadian landed immigrants who were citizens of commonwealth countries. That exemption for the can LI of Comm. country origin is no longer available.