• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Do not wait for SNN

ZukotheCat

Registered Users (C)
It is an old subject but I find these tips very useful:
DV lottery applicants write down in the DS-230 that they want to receive SNN automatically. When they arrive to the airport as immigrants and submit the envelopes to the DHS along with the initiated procedure for GC they mark also at the airport (with YES/NO) whether they want the request for issuance and delivery of SNN card to be sent automatically to the SSA office.
Numerous cases show that for some reason DHS does not work out the part of the process related to SNN and when people show up in SSA, SSA officers "send them back" - as it is written in the system that the request was initiated at the airport, therefore they send people back ie put on hold to wait for 1-2 weeks.
Conclusion: automatically or not, do not wait, go to the on the first-second-third day upon arrival to the SSA office. Fill in the form and ask for confirmation of submitted request. The confirmation is a must. Do not leave without the confirmation.
The only problem that can happen is if you listen to SSA officer who tells you to go home and wait, and come back if the SSN does not arrive in xy :rolleyes:weeks. In this case leave the office and go back on the next day and try again or try again immediately on the other counter. Do it again and again until you get your confirmation (sometimes the confirmation can be used for employment temporarily).

I would say if you are moving to NYC, then get the card automatically. I had mine in 2 weeks from the date I officially immigrated. It may be because there are special SSA offices for the boroughs in NYC.

DV visa needs SSN to work?

Hello. I got DV visa. when I do immigrate, what should I do first? will I have to wait for the arrival of ssn to start working? or I dont need permit for work? Or can I get the confirmation and start work? where can I read those laws?

Hello. I got DV visa. when I do immigrate, what should I do first? will I have to wait for the arrival of ssn to start working? or I dont need permit for work? Or can I get the confirmation and start work? where can I read those laws?

Hi,

When you enter the US for the first time with your Green Card in your passport, it will be stamped and will serve as a green card for 1 year. You will receive the plastic card by mail within few weeks but you do not need to wait for it to start working.

You should receive the SSN within 3 weeks (usually less). After you enter to the US, wait 3 days for your name to enter the system. Then go to or call a Social Security Administration office near to you and ask if a SSN was issued to you. If so, then you can go to the office in person and ask the clerk to give you the number. You can use the number anywhere they ask you for it - at work or when opening a bank account etc. You do not need to wait for the plastic card.

If you do not receive the SSN after 3 weeks then it may be that something went wrong and you will need to ask to issue you one. Do not ask them to issue you a SSN before the 3 weeks have passed. You can read about the process here: Social Security Numbers for U.S. Permanent Residents

You may also find the following links useful:
A Guide for New Immigrants
Welcome to USA