Do It Yourself - Fill I-589, I-765, I-131, I-485

Raziel

Registered Users (C)
I like USCIS forms, they are amusing but sometimes they could be difficult like math section of the GRE test. "Don't say it's easy"

The following posts will illustrate forms I-589, I-765, I-131 & I-485. They are really easy :)

General recommendations:
- 2X2 photos

Here you can find the exact accurate specifications for the photo required in USCIS applications
Don't spend 10 $ on only 2 photos, order the photos online from Walgreen with 20 cents 4"X6"
This is an example... :) :) the red color is to make cutting photos easier "using a ruler and a cutting knife".
Using a pencil, write your name and the A# on the back of the 2 photos

- read the application 3 times before sending it, you don't want to send it with errors.
- Best way to mail your application is via USPS priority with tracking number, no need to pay for the expensive express; it will arrive in 2 days in priority.
Use the free priority envelope and don't bend the application.

- Paying fees: I think the fastest thing is to use money order. Faster than checks without the chance of returned checks.

- Name: always write the last name in caps letters

What else??? any comments or recommendations are welcomed

Last edited by a moderator:
Samples and official instructions attached.

I-589 Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal
It is very recommended that you get a lawyer for this application, lawyer must fill it for you, submit it and go with you to the asylum office for the interview, this might save you the trip to the immigration judge.

I-765 Application for Employment Authorization

I-131 Application for Travel Document

I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
Fees are 1010$, if the money order is not allowed for over 1000$ then attach 2 money orders first 930$ and the second is 80$, this is cool since these are the exact fees for the form + the biometrics.

Some instructions for I-485: http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/adjustmentofstatus/application.html

The samples attached are for majority of cases, but remember that each case has its special circumstances.

for ex: If you have arrest history you will indicate that in the application if asked to do that.

USCIS forms are easy to fill,no need for a lwayer.I will do mine till i get Citizenship.

a lawyer in I-589 is a must ! not because I-589 is difficult but because

- Lawyers have special effect on USCIS

- you will write a lot in I-589, lawyers have a better language and will know exactly what to emphasize in the application.

- You will have big chance not going to IJ and having your case approved in asylum office

Many get NOID in assylum office because they don't have a lawyer :(

One question - when submitting the forms for Asylum, does the applicant have to maintain his/her own legal status while the papers are processing? Thanks!

No, Submit your application and receive notice of receipt before going out of status "preferred", afterwards you don't have to maintain your legal status.

I submitted my application 1 week before going out of status.
In my interview, the asylum officer was very upset and asked my lawyer why I was out of status before submitting my asylum application.
Thank God, I explained to him that he didn't read the dates correctly "in a polite way"
He apologized :)

thanks for reply Raziel. Question - did you submit the everything at once 589, 765, 131 and 485? how long did you wait to receive your Notice of Receipt? Thank you!

You can't submit I-589 with I-485 for ex... you must wait for 1 year after asylum granted (I-589) then submit submit I-485

However excluding I-589, you can submit the other forms in the same time.

me and all my friends and relatives usually receive the notice after 1 week of mailing.

Priority mail is recommended

You can't submit I-589 with I-485 for ex... you must wait for 1 year after asylum granted (I-589) then submit submit I-485

However excluding I-589, you can submit the other forms in the same time.

me and all my friends and relatives usually receive the notice after 1 week of mailing.

Priority mail is recommended

what do you mean by besides 589 you can submit other forms at the same time? which forms are you referring to?

EAD question.

My EAD is expiring soon. But I already file form i-485 for Green Card. Now the EAD filing cost $340.

But there in the instruction form of EAD it says that if you already file i-485, there is no need for payment for the filing application fee $340 for EAD. Is this also applicable for Asylum status who already file i-485 ? Or Do i still need to pay this amount since I am Asylum ?
Any help???

I guess "I'm sorry, I'm not certain" you still can do it for free by submitting a copy of the I-485 Biometrics appointment "I-797C" with the EAD application,

Submitting a copy of the biometric appointment is a proof of submitting the I-485, this is indicated in the I-131 instructions too

Keep us updated 777us

hi.. i have a question.... i'm from Indonesia... my asylum case got approved on June 9th 2008... and then.. i will apply for green card after june 9th 2009, right?! but i need to go to Singapore.. do you think i need to apply for Travel Document? i thought when i apply I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) it's already include a travel document.. is that right?! thank you.