Do I140 need to be approved to get SSN??

iyrao

Registered Users (C)
Hai Folks
In concurrent filing for I140, EAD and I485..
I heard that we are not getting Social Security Number after
we got EAD and I140 is not approved.
Is it true that they are giving social security number only after I140 is approved..
we applied for SSN after we got our EAD and the rep. at SSN office told it should take upto 2 weeks and I will get SSN in mail..But he never mentioned that inorder to get SSN I140 need to be approved..
another thing is we cannot work until we get social security number even after getting EAD??
Any input on this will be definitely helpfull

SSA will contact BCIS and then issue you SSN.
they say two weeks, but I guess it will take
more than 2 weeks to get it.

got you..

I know that they will contact BCIS or their system is linked to BCIS
But do they issue SSN before I140 is approved.

either a valid EAD or a valid H1/L1 are sufficient grounds for SSN issuance. you do not need an approved i140.

iyrao

Had chances to go to local SSA 4 times. 2 trips for H1 and 2 for EAD. Seems to me H1 got SSN about 2 weeks as they say, but
EAD people took more time. one even took more than 1.5 month
because SSA staff said they cannot get confirmation from BCIS.
theorically they have a system for checking but how it works?...
maybe just my local SSA problem.

back to your question, I think no problem to get SSN before I-140 approval according to SSA webpage. what they need just the
BCIS confirmation.

iyrao

SSA is not in the business of checking the status of various petitions like I-140 or even I-485. They have only one policy i.e in order to issue a SS number, the applicant needs some kind of work permit (H1 or EAD or GC) legally issued by BCIS. Whether BCIS issued the permit before or after I-140 approval is not their concern. Once BCIS confirms the EAD, SS will be issued.

one more question

I would like to know whether my wife (H4) can get SSN, if she has EAD( since my i140 was
approved) I am going to get EAD for my wife soon.

many thanks any input in advance.

Yes

Your wife can get a SSN if she has EAD. My wife got her SSN card after showing the EAD to the SSN officer in 3 weeks.