Do I understand this correctly? Appreciate advice please.

jonny_boy

Hi. I want to clarify that I understand the immigration process correctly for my case.

Background: Arrived in March 1999 on K-1 visa. For some bizarre reason, I never received the permit to work stamp in my passport so had to wait over 5 months til I could start working. Got married within the 90 days (in April) and filed my I-485 at my local INS office - San Diego. Received no receipt but got proff that the checks were cashed for the application which I understand is proof enough. Finally got an EAD the hard way after waiting 5 months as I said. Have been working since, renewed EAD last year. Also got an Advance Parole last year to attend a wedding overseas.

Present: Am still waiting for my fingerprint call for the green card - 24 months later. Have been advised that if I haven\'t heard anything by month 28 to inquire and see what\'s going on. That\'s fine, I realize San Diego is one of the slowest places.

Now I found out that having been married for over two years, I should make sure I receive the unconditional permanent residency green card rather than the conditional one and I shouldn\'t have to file the I-7XX (change status from conditional to unconditional) Can anyone verify that should be the case?

Also, I am unclear on when I can apply for citizenship, my original understanding was 3 years after being married. Now I understand it is three years after I receive my green card? Can anyone clear that up for me? Appreciate your time reading my epitaph.

Jon

No Title

3 years after u become unconditional resident so is a totol of 5 years all togheter .. check n-400 it will explain to u in more details good luck