Do I need to send any papers to Customs before 72 hrs before exporting car to Canada?

mayankdave

Registered Users (C)
Hello:

I was just wondering whether I have to submit required documentation to Customs before 72 hours when I am exporting my Car to Canada by driving myself?

Here is the info I got from Customs web site.

The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and

The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Mayank Dave

If you are carrying the title and registration/insurance papers with you, no need to do that. I drove my car in Jan and all customs did was look at the goods to follow, car title, registration. They noted the mileage. And handed me a copy of form 1. Form 2 will be mailed to you. You will have take these 2 forms for vehicle inspection once you are in Canada. Also, you will be asked to pay CAD 182 for importing the car, you can pay by credit card. You will aslo need to have the recall clearance letter for inspection.
I did read that one must inform the US customs while exporting the car from the US, and you could get that info by calling the US border customs regarding their requirements. I did not do that since I did not find many people doing that and also since I did not have time.

Last edited by a moderator:
goods to follow

Which of the following requires car to be listed in "goods to follow"?

a. shipping car using services of a commercial moving company
b. driving car across the border personally

Is it (a) or (b) or both?

Btw, is there a standard "goods to follow" form or it is just an ad-hoc list?

Thanks.

1) Both cases , you should have "goods to follow" list
2) Never seen a standard form , u can prepare your own list

Thanks bhand11863 & tarantula.

A friend of ours landed recently but did not have a "goods to follow" list prepared .... is it possible to prepare it now and get it certified so that he can bring his car from US to Canada? If so, how, from where and within what timeframe can he get it certified? Appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks again.

gc7777,
At the time of landing your friend should have given them a list of goods to follow. I'm afraid, he will have to pay customs duty for any goods, incl. car, that he plans on importing. He might want to call up the canada customs or the border folks at the website above and see if there's a way out.