Do I need to renounce the Indian passport before applying for PIO

vkums

Registered Users (C)
Need help with the PIO application. I am planning to leave within 20 days after the Oath ceremony. I am taking up a job in India and I need to join on Aug 1.

Not sure if this plan will work. My oath ceremony is scheduled for July 10. Thinking of going to the passport agency with an appointment and ask for a same day passport.

Also, I am thinking of applying for PIO. In the website it says the processing time is 15 days. The whole equation will not work if I need to get the renunciation certificate before i can apply for PIO. Has anyone applied for PIO without renunciation certificate.

Please advise me on any other options for going to India after getting US passport.

Thanks

Need help with the PIO application. I am planning to leave within 20 days after the Oath ceremony. I am taking up a job in India and I need to join on Aug 1.

Not sure if this plan will work. My oath ceremony is scheduled for July 10. Thinking of going to the passport agency with an appointment and ask for a same day passport.

Also, I am thinking of applying for PIO. In the website it says the processing time is 15 days. The whole equation will not work if I need to get the renunciation certificate before i can apply for PIO. Has anyone applied for PIO without renunciation certificate.

Please advise me on any other options for going to India after getting US passport.

Thanks

I think you can apply for both at the same time. They are outsourced now. Applying for PIO without surrender certificate (surrendering Indian passport) you won't get your PIO.

I think you can apply for both at the same time. They are outsourced now. Applying for PIO without surrender certificate (surrendering Indian passport) you won't get your PIO.

Thanks Madgu for your response and sorry I did not notice your response for this long. And do you know if I can travel back with Indian passport?

I am also in similar situation (moving back to India but without job :) )

As far as I know, you can't travel to India using Indian passport after oath (though consulate website says you can travel using Indian passport for 3 months). Even if you travel using Indian passport, you can't apply for PIO from India because it asks for last visa status if you are applying for PIO in India. I explored this a bit in the past and concluded it is safer to not travel using Indian passport

If you are crunched for time, you may consider applying for Entry visa in US and than applying PIO in India. I heard the entry visa will be given in a day or two from date of application.

Goodluck..keep us posted on your experience, I will be benefited

Any kind of Indian visa will require the process of renunciation for former Indians.

For the original poster, a PIO card is the best bet, you also might have to postpone your trip to India.

Don't even think of using your Indian passport once you take oath, you might end up in prison in India.