Do I need take medical examination again?

dreaming-flyer

Registered Users (C)
I have taken medical examination at 5 2001 and submit with the 1-485 Appliancation.
Now I received RFI, required this again. Do I have to take it again or just make a statement saying I did before.

Thanks in advance.

You do not need to do it again per their memo I had posted earlier. Just reference the fact that it was submitted with original application.

No problem. To be honest with you I had posted this couple of times, but it seems that many people on this forum are ignoring this memo and redoing their medicals again. I just want to say - people, you do not have to spend the money and the effort, just read the memo and do as they instruct.

DO NOT REDO YOUR MEDICALS IF YOU HAVE SUBMITTED THEM WITH ORIGINAL APPLICATION!!!

The RFI goes in standard format to almost everybody (not customized to your application and previously submitted documents), and it does not mean you have to do all that is listed on the form.

No problem. To be honest with you I had posted this couple of times, but it seems that many people on this forum are ignoring this memo and redoing their medicals again. I just want to say - people, you do not have to spend the money and the effort, just read the memo and do as they instruct.

DO NOT REDO YOUR MEDICALS IF YOU HAVE SUBMITTED THEM WITH ORIGINAL APPLICATION!!!

The RFI goes in standard format to almost everybody (not customized to your application and previously submitted documents), and it does not mean you have to do all that is listed on the form.

thank you for the info guys. i am thinking of printing the memo and submitting it together with my reply!@

best of luck to everyone

I thought medicals expire after 1 year too..Its better to submit them again when asked..better safe then sorry...I wouldnt like to save 300 dollars and then find out that I should've submitted new mediacls...

wantmygcnow said:
I thought medicals expire after 1 year too..Its better to submit them again when asked..better safe then sorry...I wouldnt like to save 300 dollars and then find out that I should've submitted new mediacls...

that is my idea too, $300 is not worth the hassle, you never know with them. Where I come from, is that we had to redo our finger prints on 2004 eventhough we had to do it when we first applied for the GC and then they made us do it with bio just recently, like our finger prints changes every year or something, go figure :mad:
I mean, I know it says you don't have to redo medical if you submit it already and people can do it, but my personal openion, is that $300 to have a piece of mind is really worth it, I would pay anything now to get that damn card :p

Correct me if I am wrong.

Redo the fingerprint is because fp is valid for every 15 months (could be 18 months, I don't remember what exacly my attorney told me.) I won't redo it. Plus, I have the proof that I did the medical, by keeping the green page the doctor gave me.

Well yes true that you had a receipt when you did the medicals. But the scary part of the RFI is that it says that You dont have to do the medicals again if you have submitted it but If we can't find it then your application will be denied..

So basically they are giving you one chance. Lets say you say I did the medicals here is my proof and they go in your file and can't find them..Your case will be denied.

Had the I-485 receipt said "Medicals Received", YOu could have a good argument then.....Without any formal acknowledgement from the USCIS that they have gotten your medicals the last time..I wouldnt risk it.

Remember there was a reorg(INS to USCIS) in 2003 so as with every Govt entity..a Reorg results in lots of changes...

My suggestion to everyone is that they should REsubmit the medicals because the memo from USCIS just says what is written on the RFI. It doesn't say "Asylee should disregard a new medical request."

correct me if i am wrong.

back in 2001, medical is "required". the memo saying asylees filing I-485 don't have to do medical was somewhere in 2003. so as long as you got the receipt, meaning INS verified it was complete. incomplete petition won't get a receipt.

windywd said:

back in 2001, medical is "required". the memo saying asylees filing I-485 don't have to do medical was somewhere in 2003. so as long as you got the receipt, meaning INS verified it was complete. incomplete petition won't get a receipt.

I absolutely agree with you. I will print out their internal memo and include it with a letter stating that I have already submitted medical with my I-485

windywd said:

Excellent Point. Can we back this up with any proof on USCIS which said applications without a medical are deemed as incomplete..?

I actually asked my congressman's office to check with NSC if they have my medical on file or if I would need to resubmit it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Mike you did good with a congressman, I think most of us wont go through politicans!

We still need to find a piece of memo where it says that USCIS will return applications(pre 2003) if medicals weren't included. This way anyone who didnt get a RFI for medicals etc and later on if they get problems with USCIS they can show this as a proof.

Always have a backup.

Do u have a link?

I did my medical in 2001. I have it in an envelope. (Never been opened)
I did not submit it to INS because they said it is not required this time. Do you think I have to redo it again?
My personal perception on this point is the same as Wantmygcnow’s but may be somebody has exact information what should I do.
Does INS state that medical is valid during 15 years? Does somebody have a link pointed to this info?

pchela50 said:
I did my medical in 2001. I have it in an envelope. (Never been opened)
I did not submit it to INS because they said it is not required this time. Do you think I have to redo it again?
My personal perception on this point is the same as Wantmygcnow’s but may be somebody has exact information what should I do.
Does INS state that medical is valid during 15 years? Does somebody have a link pointed to this info?

If this is correct then what Mike said that USCIS wouldnt accept applications without Medicals was false...since pchela's application in 2001 was accepted without medicals whereas the memo not to submit the medicals was issued in 2003...

I think in 2001, INS was in limbo so nothing was really consistent.

I suggest everyone REDO medicals if asked. DO NOT take risks people.

I actually got the whole package returned to me because the doctor forgot to stamp the sealed envelop. After I got him to stamp his name and address and mark as I-693, I got a receipt.

I don't know other people's experience, but to me, I did receive a checklist have "I-693" checked as missing. And I am very sure that the medical was required since I have the printout of their web page at that time.

wantmygcnow said:
If this is correct then what Mike said that USCIS wouldnt accept applications without Medicals was false...since pchela's application in 2001 was accepted without medicals whereas the memo not to submit the medicals was issued in 2003...

I think in 2001, INS was in limbo so nothing was really consistent.

I suggest everyone REDO medicals if asked. DO NOT take risks people.

Hey hey hey,
it wasn't me who said that :) I only agreed with it.