Do I need original I-94 when travelling with RTD?

hatari999

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone-

I will be travelling to the UK in a few weeks and needed clarification on a couple of issues. I will be travelling with a RTD. Do I need to carry a passport from my native country with me as well or should I only carry a RTD? Also, should I carry with the an original I-94 or a will a photocopy suffice? Will they ask my for an I-94 before boarding for the UK or at the point of entry when I return? I would greatly appreciate some assistance in answering these questions. Thank you very much.

Make sure you have British visa in your RTD, or at least check with the British Consulate if visa is required for RTD holders. I have seen posts here that such visa is required.

If you carry your national passport when entering UK, you might need visa there as well. BTW - you didn't renew your national passport, did you? Is it still valid?

I-94 copy can do it, if you can explain where is the original and why it's not with you. You don't need I-94 when leavin USA, but when you come back. The IO on POE will have to collect th eold one and issue you a new one.

Hope that helps,

:)

Originally posted by hatari999
Hello Everyone-

I will be travelling to the UK in a few weeks and needed clarification on a couple of issues. I will be travelling with a RTD. Do I need to carry a passport from my native country with me as well or should I only carry a RTD? Also, should I carry with the an original I-94 or a will a photocopy suffice? Will they ask my for an I-94 before boarding for the UK or at the point of entry when I return? I would greatly appreciate some assistance in answering these questions. Thank you very much.

I went to the UK last year. I applied for and got a British visa on my RTD. I did not carry my national passport. When I went through the British immigration, they looked at the British visa on my RTD and very courteously welcomed me to the UK...no questions asked.
On coming back to the US, I showed my RTD, and was asked for my I-94, which I handed over. The officer issued me a new I-94 at this point.

Good luck,
Jameel

I just received my Visa to UK and you can get it the same day. You just have to make sure you get there very earlier.

The day I went to the British Consulate in New York, the line was extremely long. I arrived there at 9:00am and it was a rainy day, I waited 2 hours to get to the front desk to submit my application. And then I lined up to another line to pay for the $63 application fee.

If you go to the British consulate in New York, you can pay by cash or credit card. You don't have to buy certified check. This can save you $10. Make sure you make all copies of your document.

By the way, you can make airline reservation online. This allow you to print out your air reservation online and without actually buying it. No hotel reservation is required.

I have one question and hope someone can answer me. I will travel to London in August 2nd. The RTD mentions that I have to get a certificate from IRS, what is this certificate. Is it actually called "certificate" or something else?

CChong-

I obtained a "Departing Alien Tax Clearance" certificate. I believe its form 1040c. Download the form from IRS.gov and take it to your IRS office. I had to show my social security card and passport. They gave it to me on the spot and instructed me to keep it in my passport or in our case, the RTD. Hope that helps. Have a good trip.

Also, Thanks again to Jameel and Rik-tik-tak for answering my previous post.