do i need a transit visa for frankfurt?

GCforPT

Registered Users (C)
my interview has been scheduled for dec 12. i have my H1 b approval notice but not stamped on the passport. i am planning to fly air india via frankfurt, supposedly do not even have to change the planes. do i still need the transit visa for germany? the only date available for me to leave is dec 1. any experiences with this kind of situation?
thanks

Yes

GCforPT said:
my interview has been scheduled for dec 12. i have my H1 b approval notice but not stamped on the passport. i am planning to fly air india via frankfurt, supposedly do not even have to change the planes. do i still need the transit visa for germany? the only date available for me to leave is dec 1. any experiences with this kind of situation?
thanks
In my opinion, if you do not have a visa stamp, then you need transit visa. I did enquire about it (at German consulate in US) in march when I was flying through AI. I had a valid stamp and therefore I was exempted. I think you can send your application via FedEX and get it done fast.
It is the same flight, but you have to get out of the plane at Frankfurt and board again.
Have a nice trip.
Toxsci.

i did call the german consulate today and they told me that if i have my HIb approval notice, it is sufficient. will call them again tomorrow. thanks for ur reply

GCforPT said:
i did call the german consulate today and they told me that if i have my HIb approval notice, it is sufficient. will call them again tomorrow. thanks for ur reply

They might not have understood your situation correctly.

We had flown via Paris and at first the French Consulate said we do not need the transit visas (TVs). But when I explained to them that we just have the I-797 which are not stamped in the passport, they said we need to obtain TVs.

And we did.

Sheer waste of money when we had to sit in the plane itself for 1.5 hours at Paris and had to shell out $45 for each of us.

As per my knowledge, you will definitely need TVs since you do not have your H1B stamped in your passport.

GCforPT said:
Read item #4 from the link..it looks like you need TV..
http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/info/consular_services/visa/countrylist.html#except4

Exemption 4 to the list above
the exemptions under no. 1.) apply. In addition, please note:
Indian and Turkish airport transit travelers who
- are holding a valid visa or other residence permit for the USA (an approval notice is not sufficient), Canada or Switzerland and travel to the country which issued that visa or residence permit

Good luck!

Transit Visa changes

I went to german consulate yersterday for transit visa,
Here is my situation
I am on EAD and my Advance parole is valid till 05.26.2006 and i am on legal status all the time in USA.According to old rule(till last month) you need visa if you dont have stamping in your passport which means i need visa,
But yesterday i was surpised to know i dont need visa, The lady at the consulate general told me that if you maintain legal status in USA and has legal return visa or document to come back to the USA then you dont need visa. This rule was changed 10 days back and only applies if your waiting time in franfurt is less than 10 hrs.
They liberised rules for Indian and turkish citizens so as not to cause any inconviniences for travel passengers.
she told me to take a print out of the following link
http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/info/consular_services/visa/countrylist.html#except4
and told me to show it to the airline staff if they dont allow to board the plane.

So if you hear anything diffrent from this please post here ..

thanks

thanks to everybody who has replied to this mail. i did receive an email too sending me the link. hope things go smooth in chennai on dec 12. countdown begins!
thanks