Do I need a letter from Selective Services?

suresh_colo

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I got my green card at age 28.
I was in the US between the ages 24 and 26 on a H1B status.
I never registered with Selective Services.

Since my answer is "NO" to the following question (I was a lawful nonimmigrant), do I still need any letter from Selective Services when filing my N-400?
"Are you a male who lived in the US at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrat?"

Thanks

Yes.You need the letter.It will be asked during various times.eg N-400,Aplying for Federal Job.So it is always helpfull to have it handy.:)

Here is the office position of the US government on your situation. on my personal interpretation, I think that you were not required to register with them.

"NON-CITIZENS
Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service. For a more detailed list of which non-citizens must register, see Who Must Register - Chart ."

Here is the official position of the US government on your situation. on my personal interpretation, I think that you were not required to register with them.

"NON-CITIZENS
Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service. For a more detailed list of which non-citizens must register, see Who Must Register - Chart ."

Hi everyone,
As I said my answer to the question ""Are you a male who lived in the US at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrat?" is NO since I was a lawful nonimmigrant.

However, if you visit the website of Selective Services, http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html
Request for Status Information Letter,
It says that:
"If you entered the United States as a valid non-immigrant alien, and remained in that status to your 26th birthday, you must provide documentation to support your claim. For example, if you entered the United States as an F-1 Student, and remained in that status until your 26th birthday, you would need to provide documentation indicating that you were admitted on an F-1 visa and attended school full-time as required. (Acceptable documents for this situation include copies of your I-20Ìs or a letter from the school you attended indicating your full time attendance as a non-immigrant alien). The same thing applies for all non-immigrant statuses. You must explain, if at any point, you violated the terms of your visa, or overstayed your visa and became an undocumented alien."

So I am going to go ahead and get the letter, but my question is: What will this letter say?
Will it say something like "You are not registered with Selective Services and you were not required to be registered as you were at a lawful nonimmigrant status when you turned 26". ?

Has anyone had a similar experience? What does this letter say?
If it only says "You are not registered with Selective Services" then it does not help, as I am trying to prove (hear from them) that I was not required and that they have verified that I was a lawful nonimmigrant.

Thanks

"

Yes.You need the letter.It will be asked during various times.eg N-400,Aplying for Federal Job.So it is always helpfull to have it handy.:)

Verify your sources before you post wrong information. If a person got his green card after completing 26 years, he does not need a Selective Service Letter.

Hello,

Since my answer is "NO" to the following question (I was a lawful nonimmigrant), do I still need any letter from Selective Services when filing my N-400?
"Are you a male who lived in the US at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrat?"

Thanks

Huracan and faysal are correct. You do not need Selective Service Letter.

Here is the exact wording of the letter when you were not required to register:

"We have received your inquiry as to whether you are required to register with Selective Service.
Based upon our records and the information you provided, you were not required to register with Selective Service because [your reason here].
You should submit this letter to any agency concerned about your registration status with Selective Service"

Here is the exact wording of the letter when you were not required to register:

"We have received your inquiry as to whether you are required to register with Selective Service.
Based upon our records and the information you provided, you were not required to register with Selective Service because [your reason here].
You should submit this letter to any agency concerned about your registration status with Selective Service"

Aibolit,
Thanks for your posting.
Did you receive this letter from Selective Service?
If so, what exactly did you ask them, and what kind of evidence did you provide them when you wrote to them?
Thanks again.

Hello,

Thanks

I filed my N400 in Jan' 07 and answered No to this question as I was on an F-1 visa during that age range. I have now received interview letter and one of things that I have been asked to bring is a letter from Selective Service.

Last week I sent the application to get a SIL from Selective Service.

My view, its better to have a letter.

I filed my N400 in Jan' 07 and answered No to this question as I was on an F-1 visa during that age range. I have now received interview letter and one of things that I have been asked to bring is a letter from Selective Service.

Last week I sent the application to get a SIL from Selective Service.

My view, its better to have a letter.

Hi gstousc,

Thanks for your posting. Please let me know how that goes when you receive the letter from Selective Service.

No one is wrong on this issue and this is still a question of debate as the selective service info is somewhat ambiguous. Memphis DO is requesting Selective Services proof so I am sure I will be grilled on this and I do plan to get a letter even though I entered on a H-1b when I was of age 26. I got my GC at age 32.

"Did you receive this letter from Selective Service?"

Yes.

"If so, what exactly did you ask them, and what kind of evidence did you provide them when you wrote to them?"

I just followed the instructions. I don't recall what evidence if any I've sent (it was quite awhile ago).

That you are not required to register with the selective service is one thing; A prove that that was true is another thing. In most cases, you need a federal benifit the SS thing crops up. A letter from the SS stating that you were not required is important.

You will need to write to the SS and provide them an evidence with claimed status. If you were here on Student Visa, a copy of your passport with visa stamped is enough. If you don't have, you can go to your school and obtain copies of the documents while you were there. In each case, it advisable to obtain a letter from the selective service that states that you were not required to register with them. It is easy and they are responsive.

That you are not required to register with the selective service is one thing; A prove that that was true is another thing. In most cases, you need a federal benifit the SS thing crops up. A letter from the SS stating that you were not required is important.

You will need to write to the SS and provide them an evidence with claimed status. If you were here on Student Visa, a copy of your passport with visa stamped is enough. If you don't have, you can go to your school and obtain copies of the documents while you were there. In each case, it advisable to obtain a letter from the selective service that states that you were not required to register with them. It is easy and they are responsive.

Thanks!

Since I was not required to register (lawful non-immigrante until 26), do I still need to explain to SS why I failed to register?

Thanks!

Since I was not required to register (lawful non-immigrante until 26), do I still need to explain to SS why I failed to register?

No, you do not need to explain that; however, you will need evidence to prove the status you are claiming. SS do not have your record. they will have to make decision based on the evidence you send to them. Also remember that at the citizenship interview the interviewing officer may or may not demand such letter from the SS. If you have evidence that states that you stayed in the US as lawful non-immigrant untill 26 that may satisfy some officers; however, others may ask you to get letter from SS. therefore, since it is free, and takes about a week or so it is good idea to have it handy; if you can't get, don't worry too much about it;

Last edited by a moderator: