Do I lose F-1 OPT after filing 485?

docaj

Registered Users (C)
Hi gurus,
I am a student on F-1 visa and my OPT-based EAD application was approved last week. Plan to graduate in a couple of months and start to use OPT-EAD.

However, my 140-NIW was also approved last month (8 months at TSC). I want to file 485, but worry whether I can still use OPT-EAD to work after filing 485 (assuming I will not apply to or use Advanced Parole and 485-based EAD). Can anyone explain this to me?

Thank you very much!

docaj said:
Hi gurus,
I am a student on F-1 visa and my OPT-based EAD application was approved last week. Plan to graduate in a couple of months and start to use OPT-EAD.

However, my 140-NIW was also approved last month (8 months at TSC). I want to file 485, but worry whether I can still use OPT-EAD to work after filing 485 (assuming I will not apply to or use Advanced Parole and 485-based EAD). Can anyone explain this to me?

Thank you very much!
I had read in some thread with a similar situation. I think ur EAD based on pending 485 will be rejected since u already have OPT....

So here is what u can do...apply just for 485 and AP..use the student OPT and save some bugs![u probably dont pay Social security taxes when using OPT]..once student OPT is close to its expiry date you can apply for EAD based on pending 485.