Do I have to send certificate of naturalization for pAssport ?

handxx

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks

I got the form from my local post office for the US passport application. When I send my application, do I have to send the original certificate of naturalization document ? Or if I send a copy of it , still it is acceptable ?

What else I have to send besides 2 photos ? Thanks.

You dont send by mail. You goto one of places where they accept passport application. They will verify that you filled out all information and attaching proper docs. So take the application, photos, nat cert and visit them.

You need to give them original, photo copies are not accepted.

Hi folks

I got the form from my local post office for the US passport application. When I send my application, do I have to send the original certificate of naturalization document ? Or if I send a copy of it , still it is acceptable ?

What else I have to send besides 2 photos ? Thanks.

Yes, you do need to submit the original naturalization certificate with your initial passport application. However, you will get it back: the naturalization certificate will arrive back, in a separate mailing, usually a few days after the arrival of the passport itself.

I would also like to mention that it is better for an applicant to familiarise with the application process (i.e. what documents to send, what fees to pay) because sometimes post office employees are not properly trained. My wife checked both passport book and passport card on the application, but the employee told her to pay only for passport book, so she ended up without the passport card in the end.

I would also like to mention that it is better for an applicant to familiarise with the application process (i.e. what documents to send, what fees to pay) because sometimes post office employees are not properly trained. My wife checked both passport book and passport card on the application, but the employee told her to pay only for passport book, so she ended up without the passport card in the end.
Agreed. You may already know this, but once you have passport book, you can get passport card by applying via mail and pay nothing more than $20.

And if you want to make sure everything is alright, you can also call the national passport center customer service center as soon as you see check cashed. They are very friendly and can check stuff for you. You can even add passport card over the phone at that point.

I also suggest using online application form to fill out the application as it is lot more friendly and tells your clearly about what data is required and what is optional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better yet, you can apply at the same time for passport book and passport card on the same application. You don't need to send a separate application. Just check both the passport book and passport card on the first page of the passport application.

Hi,
I have a quick question on I-485 and I-130. I am now a U.S citizen as of last week. I have applied for my U.S passport, so I neither posses my GC or 'Certificate of Naturalization' currently.

From what I read in I-130 instructions form, I need to submit my 'Certificate of Naturalization' and U.S passport for petitioning for my wife. It will be another 4-6 weeks before I get my certificate back and U.S passport. So, do I have to wait for another 6 weeks before petitioning for my wife? Can I call USCIS and get the certificate number (without the actual certificate).

Please advice.

You only need a copy of your naturalization certificate. (You did make a copy before sending it for your passport, didn't you?)

Hi ... I have applied US passport for my son on May end 2020 ...unfortunately I didn’t realize that usps lady didn’t took original birth certificate but took a copy of birth certificate. What would be the consequences over here ? Or what further should I do ?

Hi ... I have applied US passport for my son on May end 2020 ...unfortunately I didn’t realize that usps lady didn’t took original birth certificate but took a copy of birth certificate. What would be the consequences over here ? Or what further should I do ?
If it’s not acceptable, the passport agency will contact you and request you to send the original. So just wait and see. If they need it you’ll need a reference/case number for them to link it, so don’t just send it by itself unsolicited or it may get lost in the system.