Do I have to inform the employer after getting GC?

allaboutgc

Registered Users (C)
hello,

I received my GC but I do not want to inform my employer about it. I was working as H1B for my employer. The reasons are: Emotionally, they were not willing to help at all during the whole GC process, and I just do not like their attitude. The other thing is that I might be leaving for another job, so I do not want to bother telling them.

So do I have to inform my employer about the GC? Is it required? If I do not do so, is there any legal problem? Or is it just a courtesy?

Please help! Thank you.

hello,

I received my GC but I do not want to inform my employer about it. I was working as H1B for my employer. The reasons are: Emotionally, they were not willing to help at all during the whole GC process, and I just do not like their attitude. The other thing is that I might be leaving for another job, so I do not want to bother telling them.

So do I have to inform my employer about the GC? Is it required? If I do not do so, is there any legal problem? Or is it just a courtesy?

Please help! Thank you.
allaboutgc,
Congratulations on getting your card. If you intend to switch employers, then I don't think you'd need to inform them, but remember that they are the ones who've sponsored you and they own the I-140. With you card in hand, your H1-B is automatically invalid, and regardless of if you work for them for another week, you need to update the I-9 form, changing your employment authorization guise.

Don't let them change you for worse.
You do what you think is right. Try not to do something just for spite. You will only regret it later.

Isn't I-9 form required by law??? To avoid any potential future problems, update the I-9 form, and keep a copy for your records.

I would suggest you let you employer know that you have got your GC evevn though they did not cooperate with you in difficult time....

be happy....and enjoy freeedooooom.....you may never know....you might need something from same employer in future....

Yes

You *must* update the I-9 that your employer has on file for you, because you are now not in H1 status but a permanent resident. This is law, even if you just work for one more day for them.

As a courtesy update them and do formalities( forms etc )....

but You can start a company and then ask them to work for you - just for fun :)