Do i have to fill taxes ?

donnib

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have a GC since issued in 2008 but i have not worked in the US, own property, nor stayed in the US since but i have been in the US on a regulary basis. I am unsure if i need to fill taxes ? Until now i have not done anything som i might be in trouble already ? :confused:
I can still make it to fill in taxes this time but in 2009 i did not do anything. :confused:

If i need to can someone point out some guidelines for new beginners how to fill these out ?

/donnib

As a LPR you are required to declare all of your income worldwide. Do you earn money doing work somewhere in the world? IF you do, you are required to file US income tax and report that income.

If you are a LPR, why are you not living and working in the US? It sounds like you are not intending to be a US resident but just use a GC as a travel document.

Read the IRS documents on their website. Start here:

I had to take care of my parents and had to wrap thing up. The GC is not intended as a travel document because if i would need it for that since i am citizen of a Visa Waiver programme so i could enter US whenever i wanted (90 days / without work).

What i need to know now is whether i can repair the situation and if so then how i mean some ideas since i understand it's a complicated process. I will look thru the information on the link, thx.

Would it be ok to fill a 0 in all fields and submit that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
As a LPR you are required to declare all of your income worldwide. Do you earn money doing work somewhere in the world? IF you do, you are required to file US income tax and report that income.

Thx, Yes i understand. I just need to figure out where to start.

You need to file taxes for 2008, 2009, and 2010. Unfortunately by not doing so and by not moving to the US and by working elsewhere, yoiu may new be assumed to have abandoned your residency. You need to consult a US immigration and tax attorney.

you need to pay taxes so that the government will monitored that you are still an active citizen of USA.
not paying taxes will result for void of your GC. Imo