Do Employers hire Work permit people without SSN?

gcwaitingNJ

Registered Users (C)
SSN has been appliued for but it takes 3 months. Would employers hire
such a person or do we have to wait 3 months for the SSN number?

Thanks!

It depends...

Some employers will allow you to work as long as you have valid EAD. But others require you to have the SSN for tax purposes.

You will need SSN before starting work

It is mandatory for employer to record your SSN before paying you any wages.

Getting SSN after EAD is straight forward. You have to fill in a form at SSA office and present your passport, EAD + other docs. Refer to the application form for other documents. The form is the same that you would have filled when you first came to US.

You can get SSN in 3-4 weeks if you apply within 3-4 weeks of getting EAD. This is my personal experience and experience of others on the board.

Cincy485.

ITIN should suffice

For tax purposes once can use Individual Tax Payer Identification Number .. It takes same time to get SSN or ITIN. With my experience SSN card will arrive by mail in 2-4 weeks. When I first applied I called SSN office after 2 weeks and they actually gave out the SSN number which was assigned to me ! Anyway after 2 days I got card by mail.

I agree with Baba Yaga, but ....

I think that form I-9 has some legal language. It says that employee must fill section 1 before starting employment. Section 1 cannot be completed without SSN.

The employers have upto 3 days to verify the presented evidence or 90 days if the employee has applied for obtaining the necessary doc. So I think that work cannot be started without SSN.

Other problem of working without SSN is recording your Social security taxes, federal income taxes, state taxes etc. ITIN number is not accepted for paying Social security and medicare purposes.

An update.......

The officer said it had to be sent to INS for
verification and would take 8 weeks. However
we got lucky and another officer corrected
saying a verification was only required for
EAD approved over 30 days and not in the system.
So we now ill get the EAD within 2 weeks and the
SSN number in 5 days by calling.

No Title

The first thing is the eligibility to work. Eligibility IN conjuction with a valid SSN (changed to "valid for employment) is what employers look for. Sec 2 of Instructions in the "Handbook of Employers", Pub M-274 clearly states as folows
Section 2
If employees are authorized to work but unable to present the required documents with 3 business days they must present a receipt for application of the document(s) with 3 business days and the actual document(s) with 90 days

SO it seems to me that if you present the receipt of application for SSN within 3 business days, it should be OK.

With great difficulty I found a free copy of the Handbook on the internet.
search for "Handbook of Employers" using Google (2nd page). It gives very detailed info. and should help.

Case Approved as per AVM, RD-Jul 13 2001, AD-APR 19 2002

Details -
RD-Jul 13 2001,
AD-APR 19 2002
PD-aug or sep 1998
EAC 01-256-xxxxx

Thanks a lot Milk for a fabulous job in maintaining a July RD list, and others contributing to the forum!