divorcing a F2 dependent

prorithik

Hi

I'm in my F1 visa and my wife physically abused me and the cops had to intervene. She is a bail right now and I'm in the verge of filing for a divorce. But my wife is threatening to file a case against me for "spousal support". Since she is in a dependent visa (F2) and cant legally work. My question is Am I legally responsible to financial support her even though she physically abused and we are going through a divorce. Kindly help on this regard.

Once you are divorced she loses her F2 status and has to leave the US unless she has another visa to stay.

Alimony issues are outside the determination of an immigration forum.

Thank you very much for your kind response. But i think this is not exactly alimony. Since she is a dependent of mine, am I legally responsible for her financial situation?

You presumably took financial responsibility for her or otherwise showed it was available in her F2 visa application. Whether or not that means you are now legally responsible for her through a divorce, or whether you can withdraw support which could effectively force her to abandon her visa, I don’t know. I presume you are already paying for legal advice, does your divorce lawyer not have an opinion?

Edit: wait, isn’t the F2 applicant supposed to show financial support in their own application? I forgot it was actually a separate visa application from yours. I don’t think they can force you to do it from an immigration law perspective. But again this is not a legal opinion. Doesn’t mean her lawyer won’t try.