• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Diversity Visa Lottery entry and J1 Visa application

writeem

Hello all! Long time no 'see'!

First of all, I apologise for the nature of this thread, I know there are many out there on the same topic but most of them are fairly old (as far as I could tell) and I was hoping to get some insight from anyone who may have come up against this or has any ideas about this issue from recent years (particularly in light of Trump-ism and anti-immigration laws).

I have entered the GC lottery I think 4 or 5 times. I was successful in 2014 (when they selected far too many OC selectees) and filed a DS-230 (I think that's the form?). Didn't get anywhere obviously, as my case number was too high.
Fast forward a few years and I now have the opportunity to go on exchange with my university. This will be a ONE year exchange program as part of my Bachelor's degree, and one of the application conditions is that I have at least one semester full time of study left after the program has ended (in other words, the university rules stipulate that you must return to Australia in order to complete your degree).

I am quite anxious about my application for the J1 Visa given I have shown clear immigration intent. There is some argument, it seems, about when you have officially 'shown intent' - that is, whether simply applying for the GC lottery shows intent, or whether you only show intent when you file the DS-230. Either way I've shown intento_O.
I don't own a house or have economic ties to Australia, however I can obviously prove I have to come back here to finish my degree, and I have no intention of trying to stay after the exchange is over. I did however apply for the 2019 GC lottery (which now I'm wishing I hadn't).

Do you think I've ruined my chances of gaining a J1 visa?

This forum is dedicated towards guiding DV selectees through the diversity visa process. We can’t tell you with any certainty what the outcome of your J1 visa petition might be.

Thanks for the reply sm1smom! No prob, I was more looking for advice around ‘intent to immigrate’ and the obstacles people who’ve applied for both the GC lottery and non-immigrant visa categories may have come up against :) Perhaps this thread should be moved to the J-Visa forum? My apologies!

Hello all! Long time no 'see'!

First of all, I apologise for the nature of this thread, I know there are many out there on the same topic but most of them are fairly old (as far as I could tell) and I was hoping to get some insight from anyone who may have come up against this or has any ideas about this issue from recent years (particularly in light of Trump-ism and anti-immigration laws).

I have entered the GC lottery I think 4 or 5 times. I was successful in 2014 (when they selected far too many OC selectees) and filed a DS-230 (I think that's the form?). Didn't get anywhere obviously, as my case number was too high.
Fast forward a few years and I now have the opportunity to go on exchange with my university. This will be a ONE year exchange program as part of my Bachelor's degree, and one of the application conditions is that I have at least one semester full time of study left after the program has ended (in other words, the university rules stipulate that you must return to Australia in order to complete your degree).

I am quite anxious about my application for the J1 Visa given I have shown clear immigration intent. There is some argument, it seems, about when you have officially 'shown intent' - that is, whether simply applying for the GC lottery shows intent, or whether you only show intent when you file the DS-230. Either way I've shown intento_O.
I don't own a house or have economic ties to Australia, however I can obviously prove I have to come back here to finish my degree, and I have no intention of trying to stay after the exchange is over. I did however apply for the 2019 GC lottery (which now I'm wishing I hadn't).

Do you think I've ruined my chances of gaining a J1 visa?
Participating in the DV Lottery does not in itself represent expression of immigrant intent. Winning the lottery and pursuing respective processing however will. Where you need to watch out, though, is whether the underlying rules of your J-1 exchange program stipulate a two-year home-country physical presence requirement which requires you to return to your home country for at least two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor.html Good luck!

Thank you so much Euro2014! I've had a look into the 2 year home country residence requirement, thank you, I actually had no idea about that rule so I appreciate the heads up!